We moved into our house 9 years ago, having bought it as a “doer up project”. There was nothing hugely wrong with it as it was mostly cosmetic but we never envisaged just how much it would cost and 9 years on we still haven’t finished.
When we moved in our bedroom was a rusty orange colour so one of my first jobs was to throw a coat of magnolia paint on the walls with the view to decorating properly in the future, which never quite happened.
I was set a challenge by the people at Debt Free Direct to do some savvy shopping in line with their Making Money Go Further blog and see which if I could transform our bedroom using supermarket own brand products.
The first job was to prep the room. We had a weird hardboard box running from floor to ceiling that appeared to be stuck on one wall and when tapped it sounded hollow. It was about a foot square and I have been desperate to get rid of it since we moved in.
Turns out it housed an old ceramic vent pipe from the old warm air boiler system. You wouldn’t believe how heavy it is and we couldn’t get it out. What hubby has done (apart from breaking his hammer) is dropped it through the floor into the cupboard below for now. It looks like we will have to knock the cupboard out to remove it sadly.
The next job was to prep the walls ready for the paint and make my colour choices. We had our windows replaced a couple of years ago as we had some mould problems. Although this has been cured there were still marks on the walls from where we had mould in the past so I cleaned again with some bleach to make sure it doesn’t come back.