I take home safety very seriously; I have safety gates on key doorways and stairs, I test our fire alarms every Tuesday, I keep the front door locked to prevent little escapees and most recently have invested in a Carbon Monoxide Detector.
Did you know that every year in the UK, more than 200 people go to hospital with suspected carbon monoxide poisoning, and around 40 people die. Small children and the elderly are most at risk, and CORGI HomePlan is campaigning for every home to get a carbon monoxide detector, so that they can keep their family safe.
This time of year is a critical period for boilers as we rely on them to keep us warm throughout the winter months, but without a detector you will have no idea that carbon monoxide may be seeping from your boiler as this colourless, odourless gas is a silent killer.
In the last three years, an estimated one in six homes inspected by the Gas Safe Register was found to have an unsafe gas appliance and one in eleven has an unsafe boiler.
There are several warning signs in your home that could mean you have a carbon monoxide issue. Here are a few things to look out for:
- The flame on your cooker should be crisp and blue. Yellow or orange flames mean you need to get your cooker checked
- Dark staining around or on appliances
- Sooty marks on the walls around boilers, stoves or the cover of gas fires
- Pilot lights that frequently go out
- Increased condensation inside windows
Being aware of the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning could save your life. Here are the main six symptoms to look out for:
- Loss of consciousness
These symptoms are very easy to mistake for flu, food poisoning, viral infections and simply tiredness, but carbon monoxide is potentially far more dangerous. If your symptoms only occur at home and they disappear or get better when you leave home then this may indicate a carbon monoxide leak.
If you need more information www.corgi-homeplan-how-
The team at Corgi have given me a CO-9X FireAngel Carbon Monoxide Detector worth £30 to giveaway to one of my readers.
- Fill in the Rafflecopter widget below to verify your entries
- Entries can be by comment, Facebook, twitter etc
- Please read the rules below
- Closing Date: 23rd February 2015
- If there is no form hit refresh (F5) and it should appear
- You need to complete the mandatory entry first – Answer the Question**
- Rafflecopter will tweet, like and follow on your behalf making it really easy to enter
- Really want to win the prize? Come back every day for bonus entries via twitter
- Terms and Conditions can be found in the Rafflecopter form below
**Comments may not appear immediately due to comment moderation
Win competitions at ThePrizeFinder.com – See more at: http://www.theprizefinder.com/content/fire-angel-carbon-monoxide-detector#sthash.gfsTUx27.dpuf