Pokemon X & Y Battle Tournament 2014 (West Quay)

I first told you about the Pokemon X & Y Battle Tournament 2014 earlier this month and having a Pokemon mad teenager I registered for our local event in Southampton.

On Saturday we headed to West Quay with Kian, Nintendo 3DS in hand and all his chosen Pokemon ready for battle.  What I hadn’t realised is that despite registering we were only guaranteed to play if we had an email confirmation back.  Sadly we hadn’t so Kian and Isaac were added to the reserve waiting lists.

Pokemon Battle Tournament

I had expected the event to be full of children eager to practice their Pokemon battle skills, however the apprentice waiting list for Isaac was tiny.  The expert list, however, was huge and their were lots of young adults waiting to play.  Still it gave the boys lots of opportunity to practice.

Pokemon Battle Tournament

It wasn’t long before Isaac had his first battle and despite being in the beginners section he was playing a teenager.  I honestly didn’t think he would win his battle but he did.  Lots of high-fives all round and a very sheepish looking teenager scurrying off!

Pokemon Battle Tournament

There was then more waiting around so I had to go off to feed and change Sebastian.  It has been quite some time since we last went to West Quay and I was pleasantly surprised by the new baby changing rooms with a very plush seating area for feeding baby.  They even had toilets that could fit the pram inside!  The boys meanwhile tested all the Nintendo devices they had on display, with Kian setting the highest score on one of the games.

Sadly, because he was on the reserve list Kian didn’t get to do battle in the experts category but the staff were wonderful and set him up in the family battles with Dad.  Bearing in mind Dad has never played before I was amazed that they won the first round!

Pokemon Battle Tournament

Isaac lost his next battle to a lovely young boy who was actually giving him tips on what to do so he didn’t get white washed, meanwhile Kian and Dad got all the way to the finals before being knocked out.

The event was very popular and therefore busy, but I have to give credit to the staff who were amazing.  They did their very best to ensure everyone got to join in and made us all feel welcome by showing us the games and how to use the consoles.  They even laughed at Isaac’s joke despite probably hearing it over and over again!

“How do you get Pikachu on a bus?”

“Poke – him -on”

25 thoughts on “Pokemon X & Y Battle Tournament 2014 (West Quay)

1. My two would have loved this a few years ago – we’re all superheroes and avengers now lol

2. Charlotte says:

Wow that looks so cool, I used to love pokemon myself but the boys aren’t really into it!

3. this looks amazing! I have a 13 year old Pokemon obsessed little brother who would love this! x

4. Sarah Bailey says:

I remember pokemon from my childhood I had a friend who loved it – I never got my head around it personally I have to admit. It looks like you had a wonderful time though 🙂 x

5. Kirsty says:

I used to like the Pokemon cartoon, it is such a huge franchise now. Sounds like a really well organised event and worth the trip depute not being exactly what you were expecting.

6. Brilliant event

Looks a great event. I have two stepsons that would love this. It’s really kept up it’s popularity hasn’t it!?!

7. Sounds like a fun day, they look so happy! x

8. I want to cuddle that Pikachu 🙂

9. I like Pokemons… despite my age

10. I have to admit that I just do not understand Polemon

11. lisa prince says:

haha sounds like fun and how cute is pokemon

12. Sounds like you all had a fab time and well done every one 🙂 x

13. anna says:

This sounds like fun! I didn’t know such events existed

14. Emma says:

oh I bet the boys (including dad) loved their day out! Its nice to see gaming getting a positive response. I think there is real value in gaming if in moderation like everything else.

15. This looks like every little boy’s (and dad’s!) dream! Glad you had a great day 🙂

16. Terry says:

The Pokemon X & Y Battle Tournament 2014 sounds like such a fun event for your teen. I have never heard about anything like this.

17. Michelle says:

It’s amazing how Pokemon is still going strong!! I remember my brother playing it when he was little (he’s now 25) and my son still plays it and he’s now 15!! What a great day you had!

18. Mummy of Two says:

What a great event and it sounds very well organised. Looks like you all had a great time – I will definitely be on the lookout for something like this for my son (and husband!).

19. Victoria says:

very boyish event, well done to boys and its great that you not against games and dont mind to travel to make them happy

20. I watched pokemons when I was little and adored pikatchu 😉 Fun way to spend the afternoon!

21. What a fantastic day it looks like you had. Great photos xx

22. ninjacat says:

pooh got to catch them all.
    Great to see Pokemon still going strong.

23. Wow how fantastic! My younger boys would have loved this – especially my 12 year old 🙂 Brilliant event – not seen anything like this here ever.

24. Amanda says:

It sounds like you all had a great day and that the staff made sure it was really family friendly! Well done to your boys for doing so well! I love the idea of bringing computer games into a publicly social event 🙂