A Sightseeing Tour of London with London Duck Tours

I have done a few sightseeing tours of London in my time, but a sightseeing tour aboard a giant yellow duck has to be the most fun.

Before you wonder if we were bobbing about on the river Thames in a giant yellow rubber duck, a DUKW (known as a Duck) is a six-wheel-drive amphibious modification of the 2½ ton CCKW trucks used by the U.S. military in World War II.

For the safety conscious it is reassuring to  know that these vehicles have all been rebuilt according to stringent safety regulations to create the vehicles for this wacky, one-of-a-kind sightseeing tour.

We signed up for the classic sightseeing tour although there are others which include a D-Day Tour, Pirate Tour and James Bond. All scheduled tours leave from Belvedere Road, which is just behind the London Eye, between Jubilee Gardens and The Southbank Centre’s Royal Festival Hall) in central London.

London Duck Tours

We started the tour on land, heading past the Palace of Westminster and up past Downing Street where we were instructed to quack at the police standing guard at the gate. We were then treated to seeing the Horse Guards heading up the road to change the guards.

London Duck Tour

We also got to take in Trafalgar Square, St James’ Palace and Buckingham Palace before we headed back towards the River Thames where we entered the water next to the MI6 building – all very James Bond!!

The plunge into the River is exciting and nerve-wracking at the same time as water shoots past the open windows. It is a bizarre feeling as the Duck goes from running on land to being a boat and I was quite surprised by how low to the water we were as I could have reached the water with my hand out the window.

London Duck Tours

We headed up the river with the tide as far as the Houses of Parliament and then turned around back towards the MI6 building with our tour guide pointing out all the sites along the side of the river.

London Duck Tour

The transition from water to land wasn’t quite a dramatic as the entry but was still fun as you could feel the Duck fighting against the tide. It was then back to the London Eye to disembark.

London Duck Tour

The whole tour took approximately 75 minutes and was an experience we will never forget as it was people’s reactions to seeing us in the Duck that was most fun to watch!

Travel Loving Family

Country Kids

32 thoughts on “A Sightseeing Tour of London with London Duck Tours

1. It sounds like a lot of fun, the entry into the water sounds like quite a rush and the sights you see are really cool too
    Zena’s Suitcase recently posted…NEMO Science Museum in Amsterdam is a MUST for FamiliesMy Profile

2. Susan Mann says:

We did duck tours when I went to London a few years back. I’ve never taken the kids, but would like to. It is so much fun and such a great way to see the city x

3. This is another thing I really want to do as it looks like so much fun – my two would LOVE It x
    Cass@frugalfamily recently posted…Blog smarter not harder – how I get 65,000 page views a month from Pinterest!My Profile

4. Sol Solntze says:

I used to see the Duck tours going by when we were in London,and I always wanted to go, but couldn’t quite justify it seeing as how we actually lived there and everything. And now you tell me there are themed tours! Blast! Could have gone after all.

Still, something for a future visit.

5. We are doing this on Mothers Day!! It looks like great fun and I know Monkey is going to be very excited. #CountryKids
    Mudpie Fridays recently posted…DIY Yarn Easter EggsMy Profile

6. Kerry norris says:

I’ve seen these. It does look fun. Is it suitable for young children? X
    Kerry norris recently posted…Why Can’t I Accept My Post Baby Body?My Profile

7. AHHH I’ve always wanted to go on one of these duck tours! I’m glad it was as fun as it sounds – I can just imagine the squeals of delight as it plunged into the water. Love sightseeing around London, so much history!
    Holly (Little Pickle’s Mom) recently posted…The Ordinary Moments – First SwingMy Profile

8. Love the Duck Tours – they are such a brilliant way to see some of the sights of London. I went on one years ago and it was so much fun. Definitely something that I need to try with the girls at some point. Looks like you had a fabulous trip 🙂 #countrykids

9. This sounds like something I would like to do with the family. Good to know you loved it.

10. Emma Kelley says:

I have never traveled to London before and always wanted to go on one of the duck tours because it looks like it would be so much fun!
    Emma Kelley recently posted…How To Find The Best Travel Potty For Your Toddler?My Profile

11. Aww, this looks like fun. I am sure we saw this tour when we last went to London. I would love to try the tour.
    clairejustine recently posted…How To Make Strawberry Wholegrain Chia Pudding With Orange Roasted Strawberries..My Profile

12. Emma Raphael says:

I have walked past this so many times (it’s very close to my Brother in law’s house!), and we have always said, “we should go on that one day”… It looks like you had a great day out! 😀 #mondayescapes
    Emma Raphael recently posted…Between Sea & Sky – Picos De Europa – AsturiasMy Profile

13. Alina says:

I’ve lived in and around London for most of my life so I’m ashamed to say I’ve not tried this. Looks like so much fun and a great place for family to have an adventure.
    Alina recently posted…Interior Design Course: 5 Great DesignersMy Profile

14. Natalia says:

wow! I’ll try to on one of these next time I visit London, it looks really nice and fun x

15. I have always wanted to go on one of the duck tours because it looks like it would be so much fun and I think it would be!
    Ana De- Jesus recently posted…February Degustabox: Take TwoMy Profile

16. Jen says:

I love the duck boats, they are such a fab idea. Although never been able to enjoy one as yet. Perfect for a family adventure.

17. This is such a fab way to see the sights! We did a river cruise but I love the look of this, the kids would love it!
    five little doves recently posted…Johnson’s Bedtime Baby Sleep AppMy Profile

18. How cool is that! I so want to go myself. I love the photos, it looks like you had a great time ☺️

19. Jen Walshaw says:

What a great way to see London. We love visiting our capital and I love how this is a different take on it

20. Helen says:

Duck tours are so much fun! I’ve not been on the one in London, but we went on one in America and it was such a surreal experience!

Helen x

21. This looks like so much fun! A couple of years back we saw the duck driving by! I think I managed to get a photo of it, I’ll have to take a look. It’s definitely something different to do in London.
    Michelle Ordever recently posted…Make Money With Your Blog – Join blogfoster UKMy Profile

22. This looks like such a fun way to see the sights of London!
    The Princess and The Pickle recently posted…A postcard from… Marwell Zoo, Hampshire (March 2017)My Profile

23. This looks like so much fun! I once did a duck tour in Boston, it was awesome. Can’t wait to go somewhere where they offer these tours and try it with our toddler. I’m sure he’ll have a blast! #MondayEscapes
    Lisa – FlipFlopGlobetrotters.com recently posted…A day trip to Haarlem Netherlands with kids – winter itineraryMy Profile

24. MrsS says:

This looks so much fun! I bet my eldest would love this! what a lovely day out – and I love London!

We suggested this to our kids when we were up in February half term and none of them wanted to go, I was quite shocked as it sounded great to me and looking at your photos I really think they would have enjoyed it. I know I would have. I’m off to show them the photos now and see if I can make it happen next time we are up!

Thank you for sharing with me on #CountryKids
    Coombe Mill recently posted…Epidavros and the healing powers of AsklepiosMy Profile

26. Sonia Cave says:

This looks like amazing fun, and I love the boat/bus/car thingamy!! What an experience #countrykidsfun
    Sonia Cave recently posted…Living Abroad – Reflections After Six Months In Sweden Part 1: Outdoors & Children.My Profile

27. Wow! What great and unusual family trip 🙂
    Photo(Geo)grapher recently posted…Viscri – picturesque Saxon village in Transylvania, RomaniaMy Profile

28. The London Duck Tour was our favourite thing to do when we were in London too. It was so much fun – I’d recommend it to anyone. #mondayescapes

29. Jenny says:

This sounds so much fun! We’re really hoping to go on it soon.

30. Mary Louise says:

OOOOhh very fun for the kids but i think i may have been a bit nervous whilst taking the plunge to water! What a great experience!
    Mary Louise recently posted…Five Colourful Flowers For March SowingMy Profile