Top 10 Travel Must Haves when Travelling with Children

Mark Warner have just announced their fourth Blogger Ambassador programmeΒ and have challenged bloggers to come up with their top travel must haves.

Travelling with children is stressful, there is no denying it. From the packing and re-packing of cases to checking and re-checking you have all your travel documents ,it is bad enough doing it for yourself, but with small people in tow it is even more challenging.

I like to think I have the whole holiday thing nailed these days as we have been travelling with children for over 20 years now (yes I know, I don’t look old enough) and keeping them entertained has certainly got easier with advances in technology, but there is normally at least one thing that catches me out somewhere along the line.

Car travel doesn’t phase us and we recently survived a 9 hour car journey to Scotland without any squabbling or issues thanks to a mix of silly games, films on the iPads and Fun Kids Radio playing, but anywhere that requires queuing or waiting around is where it can get trickier.

I give you my top 10 travel must haves for travelling with kids:

Top 10 Travel Must Haves

Of course, my travel must haves are different to the ones that the kids choose, so I present Isaac and Eliza, with a brief cameo by Sebastian, with their own list of travel must haves:

Share this Image On Your Site

79 thoughts on “Top 10 Travel Must Haves when Travelling with Children

1. Melissa says:

Great list! We also love bringing a few wet bags (as you’d use for cloth nappies) when we travel. They come in handy for everything – soggy toddler clothes, mucky boots, leaking milk jugs. And soiled nappies πŸ˜‰

2. While traveling on the car with children, be sure your car is safe. Think ahead about speed range, installing proper tires, having enough rest.
    But the most important thing is your head with clear brains!
    Car Traveler Roman recently posted…2017 Extreme Atturo Trail Blade M/T Tires ReviewMy Profile

3. Steve says:

Great tips and a beautiful infographic. And I do agree, iPads have prevented many, many fights in our car.

4. yvonne says:

I love your mood board! It looks fabulous. Good luck with your entry, I think we find out tomorrow – eeek! x

5. Fi Ni Neachtain says:

I love that you’ve done your own infographic for this. Best of luck in the competition!

6. NO!! You blooming DON’T look old enough β€” 20 years?!!
    Aaah I LOVED your film β€” especially Eliza’s frisbee sound effects!! LOL!! Fab infographic too chickie!!! I’ve loved being a Mark Warner ambassador (it’s the best job ever) and looking at all the entries for this year’s recruits has been fab! Good luck pet!!! Fingers crossed for you πŸ™‚
    Caro | The Twinkle Diaries recently posted…207 weeks | Living with superheroesMy Profile

7. Stephanie says:

Good luck with your entry, I love your infographic! All of those items are MUST haves.
    Stephanie recently posted…How I Work From Home Around My FamilyMy Profile

8. Sonia says:

Good luck with your entry, love the infographic x
    Sonia recently posted…What I’ve Been Reading {Feb 2017}My Profile

9. Alina says:

I have a hard time packing for the hubby… I’ve no idea how stressful it’ll be with kids about haha. Thanks for the travel tips x

10. Monika says:

Great infographic Kara!

Headphones- wire or wireless?

11. HelpfulMum says:

I love your graphic, it looks so slick. The vlog is fantastic too! Good luck.

12. Emma says:

I always think travelling with children seems scarier than it is. Giving them their own bag is such a good idea!
    Emma recently posted…** Capturing moments with Tipitoe **My Profile

13. Nic says:

Great list! I still require car snacks, haha. My little girl is getting to the age where she doesn’t just sleep in the car and she’s so restless I’m gonna need all the help I can get!

14. Kerry Norris says:

Some great must haves. Boredom busters are defo essential. Good luck x
    Kerry Norris recently posted…The Wedding Singer at The New Theatre Cardiff ReviewMy Profile

15. Good entertainment is a must even when they are a tall teenager.

Brilliant tips
    Ninjakillercat recently posted…Heelys Are Still Brilliant FUNMy Profile

16. What a great infographic πŸ˜‰

My teen is currently writing a list of her must haves ready for when we go to New York and I don’t think there’s a single thing on there that I class as a must have ha ha
    Cass@frugalfamily recently posted…Get energy, give energy {with Brighter World Energy}….My Profile

17. Food and entertainment is at the top of my travel list with the kids.

18. Becky says:

What a useful infographic have pinned to my travel bug board
    Becky recently posted…60 second snack : How to make Chocolate JazziesMy Profile

19. Jen Walshaw says:

What a great infographic. I have pinned it for the next time we are off anywhere
    Jen Walshaw recently posted…Gift a Bundle this Mothers DayMy Profile

20. Clair says:

This is handy, I am going to Florida in November with the bf so I think I will need to take plenty boredom busters for him (he is a big kid!)
    Clair recently posted…Chronically SarcasticMy Profile

Great suggestions well presented, however the video is the best, just brilliant. Eliza is so funny! Best of luck becoming an Ambassador.
    Coombe Mill recently posted…Scaling up with Jumbo 4 ConnectMy Profile

22. Joanna says:

Great list I can hands down say I took nearly all of these when we went to cape verde last year and were definitely must haves.

23. Hannah says:

Yup I don’t go anywhere without wipes now! I can’t imagine how hard your 9 hour trip to Scotland was!
    Hannah recently posted…Why you should never pay full price for your beauty productsMy Profile

24. Sophie says:

Great infographic! We’re going on a long haul next month so I’m bookmarking this for later!

25. Kirsty says:

Fantastic tips. Headphones are a great idea! We are just getting to the stage where both kids will want to watch films on a long journey – but different films! Headphones could be the solution. Do you recommend any brand in particular? Thank you!
    Kirsty recently posted…Wendover Woods Gruffalo TrailMy Profile

26. Liz Burton says:

Great list! I’m with you on the baby wipes, they’re a life-saver!

I think now we’re motorhomes, we’ve got this travel lark licked! And the best bit is we can pull over for a wee or to make a cuppa whenever we like!
    Liz Burton recently posted…DIY Gifts for your DogMy Profile

• ChelseaMamma says:

Would love a motorhome, they are so convenient. My dad travelled around the states in one when I was younger and we used to fly out and meet him. Such a great experience

27. Love the infographic!Sun cream is a must and a good pair of sunnies is always a winner too.
    Ana De- Jesus recently posted…Two Ways To Style A Shirt Dress FT BoohooMy Profile

28. Jo says:

This is a comprehensive list! I always forget to take sun cream and after sun!

29. Great tips! Travelling anywhere with our four is hard work but we make sure to take along plenty of bribes!!
    five little doves recently posted…#WakeUpReady with Kalms – giveaway!My Profile

• ChelseaMamma says:

It must be even more of a challenge for you as they are so close in age. We found splitting them up helped with bickering in the back. Thank goodness for 7 seater cars

30. steph c says:

great tips, I don’t have kids but I do a lot of these for when I travel myself.

31. Talya says:

Yes to all of these! Great tips and I love that you have made this into an infographic!
    Talya recently posted…GUEST POST: Top 5 things brands are looking for in a bloggerMy Profile

32. Very good suggestions there! You really are the expert after over 20 years of travelling with kids. I’m in awe of you spending nine hours in the car with the kids. Our limit is about four or five hours, but I know what you mean about queues and waiting around being frustrating – at least in the car you’re actually getting somewhere!
    Sarah MumofThree World recently posted…Proud of my sonMy Profile

33. What a great entry Kara! Love the infographic that you’ve made x Good luck in the competition x
    Baby Isabella recently posted…My Family’s Top Ten Travel Essentials #MarkWarnerMumMy Profile

34. Fab and i never leave the house wthout wipes lol Good luck with the competition!
    Deborah Nicholas recently posted…Fire and Ice Durham 2017 – Visit EARLY Next Year!My Profile

35. susanna says:

Love this … you can never have too many baby wipes!
    susanna recently posted…Postcards from February halfterm in London!My Profile

36. Your kids are SUPER CUTE! And their sunglasses were cool πŸ˜‰ Some great travel must-haves – most of which are on my list as well – especially the wet wipes!
    Lauretta @ Home and Horizon recently posted…Gina Caro from Gypsy SoulMy Profile

37. Great post and information! Good luck with the competition πŸ™‚
    The London Mum recently posted…Afternoon Tea With Kate Middleton| Impossible ExperiencesMy Profile

38. Claire Witt says:

Great Essentials! i love the video also!

39. Jodie says:

I love this post! Such a good bunch of travel essentials.

40. Ness says:

I see that as seasonal travellers they have all thought of the essentials to take on holiday! Hair bands are a must!
    Ness recently posted…Sunday Snap – Arkwright’s shopMy Profile

41. Awesome video – Isaac and Eliza and naturals in front of the camera. A fab resource of tips there. All the best with your application x

42. I LOVE the infographic style of this post hun, looks great! Best of luck with the Mark Warner application xx

43. Sonia Cave says:

I agree with all of those!! My little people list would just include cuddly toys!!

44. AK says:

Aw bless them what a great video Isaac is all cool and Eliza is super fun! Love it! Especially the hat blew away scene!
    AK recently posted…Molly-May’s 3rd Birthday Celebrations!My Profile

45. Merry J says:

Cool ideas! I love to travel, sometimes I do forget to take something important during traveling and then remember it on the plane. This post gives me some ideas to make my next travel plan sharper. Thanks for the sharing:)