Kubo and the Two Strings Animation Workshop

Kubo and the Two Strings

A young boy with a magical gift sets out on a thrilling quest to discover his family’s legacy in Kubo and the Two Strings.

The latest masterpiece from the animation studio behind the Academy Award ® -nominated films Coraline, ParaNorman, and The Boxtrolls is released on Blu-ray ™ and DVD on 16th January from Universal Pictures Home.

From acclaimed animation studio LAIKA Kubo and the Two Strings is an all-new epic adventure starring the voice talents of Academy Award® winners Charlize Theron and Matthew McConaughey.

Young Kubo mesmerizes the people in his village with his magical gift for spinning fantastical tales. When he accidentally summons an evil spirit seeking vengeance, Kubo journeys on an action-packed quest to solve the mystery of his fallen samurai father, discover his own magical powers, and reunite his family.

Kubo and the Two Strings

In the film, Kubo is a master of the art of Origami and we were invited to London for a storytelling origami animation workshop with Chocolate Films to celebrate the release of the film.

We arrived to find work stations all set up with the equipment we needed, but got to watch a few short stop animation videos to help us understand what we could achieve. We then got to make our own Origami birds to feature in our story.

Stop Animation Workshop

We were split into small groups and we were paired with Monkey from Over40andamumtoone. Having the youngest team was a challenge, purely as they let their imaginations run wild, however, they had a ball making their video which featured a giant T-Rex (thanks to Sebby), a mermaid, birds, people, fish and rainbow rain.

Stop Animation Workshop

I am not entirely sure that their story made much sense but they are very proud of it and it was lovely seeing them let loose with their imaginations.

There were four teams in total and here are all the creations together:

17 thoughts on “Kubo and the Two Strings Animation Workshop

1. Jen Walshaw says:

What a fun and inspirational workshop. I think stop motion is so accessible for kids.
    Jen Walshaw recently posted…SOS – Save our Scottie: Vote Now!My Profile

2. I loved origami as a kid, would have loved that!

3. Looks like you had a fun packed time – Boo is really into films and has started asking how they are made, so this is perfect for inquisitive little minds!
    Rosie Corriette recently posted…WAHM: Why I Fear Sick DaysMy Profile

4. This looks brilliant – our children are s lucky with the things available for them to do that we never got to do 😉
    Cass@frugalfamily recently posted…Why I don’t limit screen time for my children….My Profile

5. This sounds and looks like good creative fun. Nice.

6. Alina says:

Thats so much fun. Great to see how children interact and get creative and that these days they’re encouraged to do so even though there’s so much other stuff out there.
    Alina recently posted…DIY Boho Photo Holder from Log and PegMy Profile

7. oh wow what an amazing experience for them and that movie looks really good!

8. It looks really creative, and I bet with practice the stories would get better. I love how technology can inspire creativity in kids like this
    Zena’s Suitcase recently posted…5 Best Destinations For A Romantic City Break #ValentinesDay #Travel #TTOTMy Profile

9. susanna says:

What a great experience. Maybe they will want to make films when they are older!
    susanna recently posted…Antigua: St James’s Club vs. The VerandahMy Profile

10. Jo says:

Looks like a great experience! I love stop-frame animation. I remember the old films like Jason and the Argonauts and Clash of the Titans, not to mention Wallace and Gromit 🙂
    Jo recently posted…My Top SupplementsMy Profile

11. Jen says:

What a fabulous experience, and I love to see children’s imagination shine. I love it when it makes sense to them, but not necessarily anyone else.

12. Talya says:

Oh wow what an incredible experience for littles! So brilliant that they can get hands on animation making in this way.
    Talya recently posted…Sometimes I’m not the mum I want to be…but that’s okMy Profile

13. Animation software really is fun – we have used it too in the past. Looks like your kids really enjoyed themselves.
    JuggleMum, Nadine Hill recently posted…A bedroom fit for a queenMy Profile

14. Sonia says:

Oh wow this is awesome, we have an animation software that we love to use but no where near as good as this.
    Sonia recently posted…The Places We Wish To Go… CaliforniaMy Profile

15. Otilia says:

Oh Wow! We really need to watch Kubo! Would love to try out something like that one day! It looks really good!
    Otilia recently posted…How to Be a Positive ParentMy Profile

16. Love the animations! We like making stop animations too, but a lot of them never make their debut! Sounds like a great film x
    Baby Isabella recently posted…NSPCC – Speak Out, Stay Safe volunteers neededMy Profile