A Panoramic View over Bournemouth

Bournemouth Wheel

2016 was the year I promised myself we would go on the Bournemouth balloon, however, it wasn’t meant to be as it disappeared back in June, never to return.

Thankfully, over the Christmas period, we got to take in panoramic views of Bournemouth from a big wheel standing more than 100 feet tall at Pier Approach.

Isaac and I first rode the wheel after his 100 years of Cubs parade which saw us marching through Bournemouth Gardens covered in glowsticks, before making the cub symbol out of glowsticks in the sand.

100 Years of Cubs

Once we had finished we headed back to the Pier to ride the wheel, which was really quiet. I had expected fantastic views over Bournemouth, however, our town is not as well-lit as I thought and we were left a little disappointed that we couldn’t see much and resolved to come back and ride it in the daytime.

Bournemouth Wheel

Yesterday was a beautiful clear day and after being cooped up a home over the festive period I managed to get the kids out of the house for some fresh air, with a walk along the beach, which was surprisingly warm for the time of year.

Bournemouth Beach

The wheel was much busier than our last visit, however we only waited around 10 minutes to board it as they had efficiently set up two queues which were moving quickly. Sebby was nervous at first and Isaac held his hand until he was more confident.

Bournemouth Wheel

You get three full rotations of the wheel and this time we had longer onboard as all the gondolas were full, therefore we got to enjoy the views over Bournemouth Gardens and Pier as they were unloaded and re-loaded.

Bournemouth Big Wheel

My only frustration is that the Gondolas are surrounded by perspex for safety and being by the sea they are covered in salt so taking photo’s is tricky, but I managed to get a couple through the gaps.

Sebby didn’t want to get off, but I managed to persuade him with a promise of going to see the birds in the Aviary in the Gardens.

Bournemouth Gardens

Isaac and Eliza wanted to do the ice rink, but as I was on my own with them I decided we will wait for a time when I have another pair of hands, so we headed back to the pier where there was a spiral Christmas tree-lined walkway leading to a letter box to the North Pole to explore.

Bournemouth

It was a lovely day out with the kids and although the big wheel doesn’t raise you to the dizzy heights of the balloon, at least I can say that I have seen Bournemouth from above now.

The Bournemouth Wheel costs £5 per adult, £4 per child and £16 for a family and is open from 10am-10pm until 7th January 2017. Don’t forget to take ID with you as BH residents get 50p off too.

Country Kids

28 thoughts on “A Panoramic View over Bournemouth

1. Loved the glow sticks, it looked so pretty. What a great time out in Bournemouth, my son would have loved going on the wheel #CountryKids

2. that glow sticks idea was clever, lovely views from the wheel too
    Becky Willoughby recently posted…#FitnessFriday Starting off in 2017My Profile

3. My Two Mums says:

I had no idea the balloon had gone! How fun was the glo sticks on the beach! #countrykids

4. Emma T says:

Looks like it was a lovely day going up in the wheel. I’ve never taken N up in one, but I’d love to take him. There was certainly plenty to do with the children #countrykids
    Emma T recently posted…School Days – post Christmas lull and school discoMy Profile

5. What’ a beautiful day you had to go on the wheel! I’ve made a mental note that night time would be a bad time to go up high things if i want to see the views! Great blog post!! #countrykids

6. What a good idea to go at night and during the day. We have a big wheel close to us in Torquay but it’s only here in the summer months. We went right at the end of the season last year and loved it. I think we got more rotations because it was quiet #countrykids
    Claire at Tin Box Traveller recently posted…A perfect winter holiday with children at Bosinver, CornwallMy Profile

7. rachel says:

I had no idea the balloon was never coming back, such a shame as it is something I always remember x
    rachel recently posted…The Glossybox January Detox Edition with Deliciously Stella!My Profile

8. Wow, you had such a beautiful clear day for it, it seems like such a beautiful place! We went to Bournemouth the other summer and it monsooned for the entire week, so I have never really got to appreciate any of the views! #countrykids

9. karen says:

Look at how much fun they are having, so cute x
    karen recently posted…2016 – A Year Of Outdoor AdventuresMy Profile

10. Sherry says:

I’m so shocked that the balloon has gone – I never got to go on it and now really wish I had. I guess I’ll have to do the wheel then haha! The views do look beautiful, I love Bournemouth #CountryKids
    Sherry recently posted…The Gruffalo at Alice Holt ForestMy Profile

11. That’s such a shame about the balloon – I loved that. This does look fab, not sure I’d get Monkey on it though. We didn’t make it down to Bournemouth at all last year, need to get back this year, do love it #CountryKids
    Mary @ Over 40 and a Mum to One recently posted…Exploring Bodiam CastleMy Profile

12. Keitha says:

Looks like a wonderful place to explore. The views from the wheel in daytime were beautiful. The glowstick symbol made me wonder if they cracked the sticks as they placed them or placed them to make the symbol and then went back and cracked them. Happy New Year! #countrykids

13. This place looks amazing. Would love to visit too. I think Bournemouth is one of my in-laws favourite place to visit and from your photos, I can see why 😉 #countrykids
    Dean of Little Steps recently posted…A Country Kid’s Post: Winter on The BeachMy Profile

14. Lynn Hogg says:

I’ve never been to Bournemouth but it looks really lovely from your photos. Thanks for sharing your pictures.
    Lynn Hogg recently posted…Get Free Kids StuffMy Profile

15. Some lovely photos – I think Seb was very brave. I couldn’t manage something as high up as that, but it would be amazing to see the town from a totally different perspective! #countrykids
    Rachel @ Coffee, Cake, Kids recently posted…Gallery Girl, Game of Thrones and Glasses #LittleLovesMy Profile

What a great experience for Isaac, Eliza and Sebby, I bet it was great watching them spot all their favourite places below you. It’s so cute that Isaac held Sebby’s hand until he wasn’t afraid any more, such a cute moment! The kids look like they’re having loads of fun exploring the spiral walkway and Sebby’s face in the aviary is just adorable.

Thanks for linking up with me on #CountryKids.

17. Josefine says:

Looks like a lovely day and some great photos! Too bad the Bournemouth Balloon is no longer running, I can imagine that would have been amazing! Even I would never in a million years feel comfortable at such dizzying heights lol! #countrykids

18. Sarah says:

We went on the wheel on Monday, it was good fun and we were amazed ther was hardly any queue! We won tickets a couple of years ago to go on the balloon, it was good fun though I did feel a little bit queasy! #placeswewillgo

19. Sonia says:

Awww I love that photo of the two boys holding hands, like they are protecting each other. So cute! I love a Big Wheel :O) Thanks for linking up to #ThePlacesWeWillGoLinky :O)
    Sonia recently posted…The Places We Will Go Linky {Jan 17}My Profile

20. Kat says:

I’m guessing no one was scared of heights. I always get jittery as they’re loading and unloading people and you’re stuck stock-still up high. Excellent job on the photos though, you’d never tell that you had to take them through tiny gaps!

21. I love the picture of Isaac and Sebby holding hands, it’s adorable. It sounds like a lovely day out and a great way to blow the cobwebs away
    Zena’s Suitcase recently posted…Postcards From Kew Gardens, London #FamilyTravel #TravelTuesday #TTOTMy Profile

22. Oh my gosh,
    It looks so beautiful there, looks like a magical place to visit.
    You’ve taken some beautiful images<3
    Little B & Me recently posted…Things You Need To Leave Behind In 2016My Profile

23. The tree lined walkway looks very pretty and Christmassy. Love the glow sticks in the sand what a great idea. I’m not too keen on the big wheel as I’m scared of heights 😉
    MELANIE EDJOURIAN recently posted…Did you cut your sending this Christmas?My Profile

24. I’ve never been to Bournemouth but I have heard how lovely it is and your pictures make it look amazing.
    I definitely miss living in a seaside area – I lived in Torquay for a year and a part of me wishes I could move us all back down there but I just can’t handle the cold in Winter!!

Emmie xo
    Unsigned, Emmie recently posted…20 Ways To Love Yourself In 2017My Profile

25. Anne says:

That sounds like the perfect day. We too have a big wheel in the City over the Christmas and new year period but I’ve yet to ride it.
    Anne recently posted…2016 – A year on Raisie BayMy Profile

26. Danielle says:

Your so brave I’m such a wimp when it comes to heights been on a wheel once and swore never again, looks like a lovely day kids looked like they had great fun, I hope use all had a lovely Christmas xx
    Danielle recently posted…My sweet little boy if only you could understand a kiss can’t make everything betterMy Profile

27. Looks like it was a lovely day, clear too, its been freezing in London. I woild love to ride the wheel to enjoy the views.
    Nayna Kanabar recently posted…Snowman Picture Decoration ~Bostik ChallengeMy Profile