Horrible Science at Winchester Science Centre

Winchester Science Centre

The last time I was at Winchester Science Centre I was organising the BlogOn blog conference which meant I had no time to explore.

I have been meaning to go back with the kids for some time and last weekend we finally visited for the Horrible Science event with Nick Arnold, the author of the fab series of books.

The Horrible Science event included an energetic show celebrating the best bits of the multi-award winning Horrible Science series. The show was fast, funny and somewhat noisy and required some brave volunteers willing to take part in a range of demonstrations as well as readings from the latest books and fun and often quite silly quizzes.

horrible-science-

Many of the experiments involved water, which meant silly shower caps for the volunteers, some of whom got a little damp, and we all enjoyed the story about the rather stupid Pachycephalosaurus and a rather strange ditty about mites.

horrible-science

Once the show was over we were lucky enough to get our books signed by Nick himself before heading into the science centre for some more educational fun with over 100 interactive science exhibits.

winchester-science-centre

We tried to lift weights using a series of pullies, created a tornado, looked at how warm our bodies are we a heat seeing camera and made sounds just by rubbing our hands on some metal.

winchester-science-centre-

We tested our body’s agility – it appears that Isaac can jump higher than me! Made balls float in the hair, flew parachutes down a tube, enjoyed a dry ice demonstration and even walked through a giant colon to see how different foods affected our body.

winchester-science-centre-1

Sebby’s favourite area was Move which is about simple machines and shows the principles of motion and gravity using levers, wheels and pulleys and the Planetarium Cinema film was brilliant and kept the children really engaged throughout.

I highly recommend a visit to Winchester Science Centre as the kids are learning without realising it.

Entry to Winchester Science Centre costs ยฃ12 per adult and ยฃ8.40 per child, with a family saver discount of 10% if you buy three or more tickets.

17 thoughts on “Horrible Science at Winchester Science Centre

1. This looks like so much fun. I would have loved to go myself. So educational and interesting and brilliant. It sounds like an absolutely fabulous day. x
    Chloe Ciliberto recently posted…8 QUINTESSENTIAL CHRISTMAS GIFTS FOR MENMy Profile

2. Marie Barber says:

Ive not heard of this place before but it looks awesome definitely somewhere I’d want to take my kids, the prices looks great too ๐Ÿ™‚
    Marie Barber recently posted…Autism and Magnetic Therapyย My Profile

3. Jenni says:

This looks great, its not a bad price either x
    Jenni recently posted…Roald Dahl at Tatton Park this Christmas โ€“ Win a family ticketMy Profile

4. I haven’t heard of horrible science before but I’m off to check it out for my son as it sounds like the kind of thing he’d adore!
    Kate Williams recently posted…How to find a family portrait photographer that will visit you!My Profile

5. Sonia says:

Oh my kids would love it here, they are really into science with Daddy being a scientist ๐Ÿ™‚
    Sonia recently posted…Our Christmas Gift Guide 2016My Profile

6. I have never heard of this place before. It sounds great, lots of things to see and do ๐Ÿ™‚
    clairejustine recently posted…Apple and Blackberry Breakfast Crumble with Pear and Cinnamon Custard…My Profile

7. Tam Gamble says:

Sounds like great fun with loads to explore and do. I love things like this because children are learning without realising!

8. Erica Price says:

Sounds like there is lots to do there and quite good value for the entrance money.
    Erica Price recently posted…Chicago Town #LoveAtFirstBiteMy Profile

9. We’ve been to Winchester Science Centre a couple of times before but I’m still a bit young to fully understand all the activities. It looks like you had a good time!
    Baby Isabella recently posted…The Very Hungry Caterpillar GiftsMy Profile

10. Lisa says:

This looks a lot of fun. I don’t think there’s anything like this near but Isabelle would love it.

11. Ness says:

I’ll have to introduce my son to Horrible Science. He loves Horrible Histories and has been having a science week at school this week.
    Ness recently posted…Finance Fridays โ€“ Unmortgageable propertiesMy Profile

12. This sort of thing is great fun for children and I love that they can learn at the same time as having fun.
    MELANIE EDJOURIAN recently posted…Hape Quadrilla Wooden Marble RunMy Profile

13. This sort of thing is great fun for children and I love that they can learn at the same time as having fun.
    MELANIE EDJOURIAN recently posted…The Espon EcoTank ET-3600My Profile

14. Louise says:

Ooh I love places like this – looks like so much fun especially to partake in some Horrible Science ๐Ÿ™‚

15. I’ve never heard of this one but it looks like a great place for a day out! I remember going to Techniquest as a kid and loving it – learning through fun is the best. ๐Ÿ™‚
    Jess Powell (Babi a Fi) recently posted…What Did We Do Before The Internet?My Profile

16. This looks so much fun! I wonder if there’s a science museum anywhere near us? Will google ๐Ÿ™‚
    Dean of Little Steps recently posted…Are You feeling “Christmassy” yet?My Profile

17. I went somewhere like this on a school trip when I was younger. It was the best day out I ever had. Would love to take my kids here
    Natasha Mairs recently posted…For Him Christmas Gift Guide 2016My Profile