A Helicopter Flight over the Jurassic Coast

Helicopter

We live in Dorset and our happy place is the World Heritage Site Jurassic Coast.

The Jurassic Coast stretches from Exmouth in East Devon to Studland Bay in Poole, a distance of about 96 miles.

Why the Jurassic coast is so special is that it spans 185 million years of geological history and coastal erosion has exposed an almost continuous sequence of rock formation covering the Triassic, Jurassic and Cretaceous periods. At different times, this area has been desert, shallow tropical sea and marsh, and the fossilised remains of the various creatures that lived here have been preserved in the rocks and can easily be found in certain locations, with Charmouth, Lyme Regis, Kimmeridge and Lulworth being our favourite locations for fossil hunting.

We have explored the coast by sea and land but I have been hinting to hubby that I wanted to see it from the air for some time. In fact when we flew home from Barcelona in the summer I was very excited by the fact I had clear views of Portland and Poole Bay from the plane.

Last weekend I got my wish with Red Letter Days and took a Helicopter Tour of the Jurassic Coast.

My flight time was 14.15 and I had to arrive in Exeter 20 minutes before the flight for a safety briefing. The staff were friendly and welcoming, explained what would happen and took a couple of pictures before we climbed onboard the AS350 helicopter.

PFA Xmas Raffle Tickets 2016.xls

If you want to sit in the front next to the pilot it is an extra £30 and I highly recommend you choose to pay the extra as the views are even more spectacular.

You fly for approximately 50 miles at 1400ft over the pastoral landscape of Devon before heading over the top of the towering white cretaceous chalk cliffs of Beer into Lyme Bay and along to Seaton where the cliffs change from white to the older Triassic red rock cliffs and then along to Lyme Regis and its famous Cobb.

helicopter-tour of the Jurassic Coast

Seeing the cliffs and beaches from the air was a breathtaking experience. The pilot was fabulous, pointing out landmarks and explaining where we were flying over. I shared the helicopter with four other passengers and we were all so awestruck we flew in almost complete silence.

helicopter-tour of the Jurassic Coast

The tour then turns above Charmouth and heads back the way you came with stunning views of Budleigh and Exmouth before landing.

We were in the air for half an hour and it is an experience that I will never forget. The helicopter ride itself was smooth and comfortable. The only feedback I would give is that I would have liked to explore a little further and fly over the sandstone cliffs at West Bay too. although you could see them in the distance.

Helicopter flight over the jurassic coast

The helicopter ride over the Jurassic Coast costs £170 and is available from Red Letter Days. If Devon is a little far for you to go, they also offer helicopter tours all over the country including Cardiff Bay, Liverpool, Manchester, Surrey, London and more – I want to fly over Bournemouth and Poole next!

Red Letter Days have just launched their flagship ‘Naughty and Nice’ quiz for Christmas, featuring 14 possible prizes over the next seven weeks, ranging from a seasonal lump of coal, to a supercar driving experience and more. Click the link to take part, you never know………you might win!!

Disclaimer: I was given a helicopter flight over the Jurassic coast for the purpose of a review, all thoughts and opinions are my own.

Travel Loving Family

27 thoughts on “A Helicopter Flight over the Jurassic Coast

1. This looks absolutely amazing! The view is incredible. I used to live in Lyme Regis, it’s such a stunning coastline. I am terrified of the idea of going in a helicopter, but after seeing this, it’s not so bad. x

2. oana79 says:

What an amazing Experience, Kara, those view are absolutely breathtaking, as you so well said.
    oana79 recently posted…Life Changing Transformation with The Body ConfidenceMy Profile

3. Alina says:

That’s a pretty damn cool coast! Id love to visit it one day and the helicopter ride looks spectacuar – very jealous!
    Alina recently posted…DIY Frame with Christmas Ribbon and ButtonsMy Profile

4. This sounds like such a memorable experience. Those views look spectacular and I think I would have to sit in the front seat too
    Zena’s Suitcase recently posted…Venice: Our Short Break With Pictures #TravelMy Profile

5. Wow now that looks great, the views alone must have been amazing.
    MELANIE EDJOURIAN recently posted…The Espon EcoTank ET-3600My Profile

6. What an amazing experience – I’d love to do this but I’d be a bit scared I think x x
    Cass@frugalfamily recently posted…5 ways to punish a teenager without shouting at them….My Profile

7. Anosa says:

I want to give this is a present to my parents especially my dad as I know he would love it. What a great experience.

8. That looks amazing – I’m normally a bit scared of heights but I think I’d have to get over it for that!
    Kate Williams recently posted…Vintage Dresses: 3 Great Buys Without Leaving Your House!My Profile

9. This looks like good fun. I would love to try it.

10. karen says:

That looks amazing and would love to do something like that but I hate heights and flying
    karen recently posted…Applications Open for Early ‘Landrush’ .blog Domains from Nov. 2-9My Profile

11. Kerry Norris says:

Wow you’re very lucky. Looks fab. I always buy experiences from red letter days x
    Kerry Norris recently posted…First Birthday Girl Gift IdeasMy Profile

12. How massively cool is that? such great views and a wonderful once in a lifetime thing to do. Mich x
    Michelle Twin Mum recently posted…Can you Give-up a Tub of Quality Street to help the Homeless this Christmas?My Profile

13. Danielle says:

What a fantastic thing to do your pictures are beautiful bet it looked even more beautiful in real life xx
    Danielle recently posted…Depression doesn’t happen to people like me !My Profile

14. Jane Batt says:

Wow it looks like a fabulous experience. I’ve never flown in a helicopter so this can now be added to my wishlist!
    Jane Batt recently posted…Brooks Country House Review, HerefordshireMy Profile

This sounds like such a fantastic experience – what views too!
    Rachel recently posted…Lush: Honey I Washed My Hair Shampoo BarMy Profile

16. Charly Dove says:

Wowsers Kara what an incredible experience, the views must have been quite spectacular. I’m itching to get in a helicopter, still not done it. Flown a glider once in the air but there’s something to be said about someone else having the controls!
    Charly Dove recently posted…Win over £30 of Christmas goodies from Hotel ChocolatMy Profile

17. Sonia says:

Such a beautiful place to have a helicopter flight, I have been in an couple when I was a kid and would love to go up in one again x
    Sonia recently posted…The Places We Will Go Linky {Nov 16}My Profile

18. Fozia S says:

Oh wow what an amazing experience!! Will have to put this on my list of things to do!
    Fozia S recently posted…Bidvine: Find and hire local professionalsMy Profile

19. Oh wow, what an amazing experience. I bet it was great. Such beautiful views. I have never been up in a helicopter before ..

20. Marie Barber says:

What an amazing experience! The photos are amazing!
    Marie Barber recently posted…Stroganoff Chilli My Profile

What a wonderful experience and a great idea for a gift to the person who has it all – except a helicopter! #mondayescapes

22. What a fab experience! I am so jealous 🙂
    Glad you had a fab time x

23. Jen Walshaw says:

Wow, what an experience. I would love to do this. It gives you a totally different perspective

24. tots2travel says:

You look so chilled, cool, calm and collected. Sounds brilliant!
    tots2travel recently posted…Dunkeld – A Walk for Kids to the CathedralMy Profile

25. Liz Burton says:

Oh my goodness what an adventure! I’d love to do this, I bet you get such a different perspective on somewhere you think you know so well.
    Liz Burton recently posted…Magic Dip – A Marbling Craft Kit Perfect for a Christmas GiftMy Profile

26. Tracey says:

I would love to take a helicopter ride but not sure I am brave enough! Great views and pictures of the coast 🙂 #mondayescapes

27. I love the Jurassic coast! It’s one of my favourite places too and I bet to see it from the air must be such a fabulous experience.
    Dean of Little Steps recently posted…A Winter Warmer Recipe: Creamy Sweetcorn SoupMy Profile