My Top 5 Great Little Breaks UK

Dorset

I love the idea of city breaks abroad but with a young family to either bring with us, or try to find childcare for, it is almost impossible.

I love travelling and it always surprises me how much our country has to offer. OK, so it doesn’t always have the best weather but its nothing that a decent coat won’t help keep out.

We still have a lot of the country to explore but here are my top 5 great little breaks in the UK:

1. London – I couldn’t live there, I love my coast too much, but it is perfect for a short break. My ideal short break in London would include a sightseeing day, followed by a West End Show, a meal out somewhere posh and maybe something more exciting like the giant ArcelorMittal Orbit slide or Climbing the O2 for the following day, we may even get to squeeze in a football match too.

Up at the O2

2. Cardiff – Another UK city and home of my beloved Dr Who. I would love to spend more time there and explore the Doctor Who Exhibition and all the filming locations featured on Dr Who and Torchwood – you never know, I may spot the Doctor or Captain Jack if I am lucky!

Dr Who Experience

3. Llandudno – another choice in Wales but this time to the North. Exactly a year ago today Hubby visited Zip World with Kian but they didn’t do Zip World Velocity which is the fastest zip line in the world and the longest in Europe. This time though, Hubby is taking me and we would also get a view of the gorgeous coastal town of Llandudno by cable car.

Zip World

4. Dorset – I know, I live here but it too special a place to keep a secret. If you visit for one thing only, it has to be the Jurassic Coast. See where David Tennant filmed Broadchurch by the beautiful red sandstone cliffs of West Bay, go fossil hunting at Charmouth and Kimmeridge Bay, take in the natural beauty of Durdle Door and Lulworth Cove or see the magnificent view from Portland over Chesil Beach.

Chesil Beach

5. The Lake District – It has been a long time since we last visited the Lake District and despite the weather being miserable for much of the holiday, it was a stunningly beautiful place to visit with waterfalls to see, lakes to wander around or sail upon and the best sweet shop I have ever visited, by lake Windemere.

Lake District
Image Credit: Shutterstock.com

Which UK town / city would be top of your list and why?

14 thoughts on “My Top 5 Great Little Breaks UK

1. Kerry Norris says:

I’ve never been to llandudno but I’d love to. We always have a good time when we go to Dorset and also love london x
    Kerry Norris recently posted…Yoga with Soul ReviewMy Profile

2. Laura H says:

I’ve only been to two of these and I live in London so I’m not sure that counts XD I definitely need to travel more around the UK!

3. Anna-Maria says:

Lovely suggestions, I would love to visit Llandudno and the lake district it seems amazing. x

I love going to Suffolk but the Lake District is one of my targets as is Dorset x
    Rachel recently posted…It’s Halloween with LushMy Profile

5. I love Edinburgh and also Glasgow. I’ve never been to Cardiff!
    Jemma@thimbleandtwig.com recently posted…Siblings Project in August 2016: Life with FourMy Profile

6. Great post Kara, I love London, it feels so magical when we visit! I would love to live there and have the money to go to all the top places hat we have never been too 🙂
    clairejustine recently posted…Last Days Of Summer : Wednesday Blog Hop…My Profile

7. I love London for a short city break too. Fab post.

8. Evelina says:

I would love to visit Edinburgh, fingers crossed I will find time to go this year.
    Evelina recently posted…LFW Day 3: Fei Fei Cicada ShowMy Profile

9. I love all of these places, although I have never been to Cardiff. Our favourite place for a weekend away is Edinburgh, it’s an amazing city and there is so much to do. We also love Cambridge and Oxford, just anywhere with a bit of history where we can eat all the food and walk around enjoying some child free time!!
    five little doves recently posted…Caketoppers Review & GiveawayMy Profile

10. I’m the same, as much as I love London, I wouldn’t want to live there, especially with a young child. We love our freedom too much down here in Cornwall. I love the Lake District too and Dorset 🙂
    Dean of Little Steps recently posted…A Country Kid’s Post: Blackberry Picking in Our GardenMy Profile

11. Harriet says:

I really want to go to Cambridge and go punting. I have shamefully never been. Would love to return to Scotland when my son is older and go romping around the countryside. It really is a beautiful country…in places!
    Harriet recently posted…An Ode to the Baby WipeMy Profile

12. Pinkoddy says:

Some nice choices there but you really ought to come and visit the Cotswolds.
    Pinkoddy recently posted…Max Card: Making days out more Financially AccessibleMy Profile

13. Great list. I live in London and need to visit the ArcelorMittal Orbit slide, although I’m a little scared to!

I’m dying to visit Scotland. I think everybody — especially foreign visitors — should experience the English countryside, which is so beautiful and unspoiled. Also, Hay on Wye in Wales and the areas around that town are fantastic for walking.
    Jennifer Howze recently posted…iPhoneography: The streets of NepalMy Profile