Meeting the Tudors at Camp Bestival

Tudor's

Camp Bestival is known for hosting some fabulous events and in previous years we have seen knight’s jousting and cowboys doing some amazing tricks whilst riding their horses.

This summer, we were in for a treat with Henry VIII’s arrival at Camp Bestival from Hampton Court Palace with the unmissable Tudors on Tour.

Presented by independent charity Historic Royal Palaces, this ‘festival within a festival’ was a big hit with kids and adults alike, allowing us to step into a living Tudor world.

There was so much to do that we visited everyday to see the magnificence and splendour of the Tudor court through a spectacular mix of theatre, games, and live craft demonstrations.

the-tudors

I loved strutting my stuff in the height of 16th century fashion in the Tudor Costume Tent, although was secret relieved I didn’t have to wear it all day as it was rather warm. We also go to travel back to 1540 and meet Henry VIII in The King’s Pavilion, acting as we would have at that time – you must bow and never turn your back on the king, but he did answer Isaac’s cheeky questions with humour and a glint of mischief in his eye.

tudors

We also got to wield a deadly weapon and test our aim with a cross-bow and were able to see the skills of the master crafts-people and stonemasons who built and maintained palaces as magnificent as Hampton Court and the Tower of London and dipped our own candle to help bring light to the palace.

the-tudor-dance

My only disappointment with it was that we could see how the Tudors cooked their roast beef for the King in front of their roaring fire however we were not able to sample the meat due to the health and safety ruling.

Isaac now wants to go to Hampton Court Palace to see how the Tudors’s lived in the palace and I plan to do that very soon.

10 thoughts on “Meeting the Tudors at Camp Bestival

1. Leo says:

Leo recently posted…SA Sports Fever Crossbow Package ReviewMy Profile

2. Nikki Thomas says:

That looks such fun, I love the photo of the two of you dressed up as Tudors. We were studying Tudors in our class a few months ago and it is a fascinating time of history so things like this are great for kids to learn all about it first hand.
    Nikki Thomas recently posted…Getting organised for the new school yearMy Profile

The costumes are amazing and what better way to learn about the Tudors then to spend time with them x
    Rachel recently posted…Elizabeth Arden PREVAGE® Anti-Ageing FoundationMy Profile

4. Sonia says:

Really love this! The costumes are fab! I definitely need to be at Camp Bestival next year 🙂
    Sonia recently posted…A Visit to Discovery CoveMy Profile

5. oana79 says:

Camp Bestivals are simply amazing, I hope one day we’ll make it for one!xx
    oana79 recently posted…Roco Clothing: Beautiful Occasion Wear for ChildrenMy Profile

6. Jen Walshaw says:

We really loved the Tudors section and yes my boys too want to go to Hampton Court. it was really engaging.

7. Events like this and making history fun makes it far more appealing for children to learn about! x
    Emma | The Mini Mes and Me recently posted…Cuffleberry & Co for Pampered PoochiesMy Profile

8. I love anything Tudor so this would be a brilliant experience for adults and kids alike. How fun x
    Ana De- Jesus recently posted…BlacksXScotts Festival FashionMy Profile

9. Sara-Jayne says:

I’m guessing that living where you do, you’ve been to Southsea Castle already! I love learning about the Tudors, there’s something just so intriguing about how they lived. I’d like to have a go at that crossbow too!
    Sara-Jayne recently posted…PEPPA’S ALPHAPHONICS CAMPERVANMy Profile

Oh what fun and the costumes look great on you. This is such a great way to enjoy history with kids, knocks spots off any classroom situation. I bet the games were fun too, the Tudor period seems full of feasts and fun for those who were part of the court. Health and Safety does seem to go a little far sometimes, I’m guessing they didn’t have a food preparation licence.
    Coombe Mill recently posted…Poldark on Coombe Mill’s Home Turf.My Profile