A Bank Holiday Full of Fun!

Cherry Bear

Bank Holiday’s for us are normally spent with as many of the kids as possible, normally visiting local fete’s and festivals but this year has been different for a few reasons.

Due to the nature of Hubby’s work he has to work bank holiday weekends and I was hopeful he would get this one off work so I could attend Blog On in Manchester which fell on Sunday. Thankfully he managed to get the Sunday off work so Abbey looked after Eliza and Isaac on Saturday afternoon, taking them to the cinema to see Jungle Book and Sebastian got to play round Nanny’s House.

Hubby was torn between what to do on Sunday as two events we all enjoy were both on at the same time. In the end he decided to do both.

The morning was filled with innuendo and fun at the Dorset Knob Throwing festival in Cattistock. Before you think I am going mad, a Dorset knob is a hard dry savoury biscuit made from bread dough which contains extra sugar and butter. They are rolled and shaped by hand and as well as being delicious with some artisan cheese, they are great for playing comical sports with.

Dorset Knob Throwing Festival

Alongside the traditional Knob Throwing there are additional fun knob attractions including Knob Eating, Knob Painting, Splat the Knob, a Knob & Spoon Race, Guess the weight of the Big Knob, Knob Darts and a Knob Pyramid. The kids (and Hubby) enjoyed trying their hand at some of the games as well as exploring the stands in the Frome Valley Food Festival which runs alongside it, with a chance to sample, taste and buy foods including breads, cheeses, ciders, meats, game, poultry, pies and much more.

Dorset Knob Throwing Festival

Once they had their fill of games they headed to Lyme Regis for the annual Fossil Festival. In the last few years the kids have thoroughly the Fossil Festival which had been set in a large Marquee on Lyme Regis beach. This year it was set back from the promenade next to the Museum and the Theatre, in 3 tents, inside the Theatre itself and in the Hub and it wasn’t as enjoyable as the kids found it frustrating moving from tent to tent as it broke up the continuity for them.

Isaac and Eliza had both been looking forward to recreating Dinosaur footprints which they have done in previous years but sadly that was not there either but they did find some exhibits to get stuck in to including making clay pictures and playing Jurassic Twister.

Fossil Festival

In the last two years we have got up close and personal with Horace the Pliosaur but this year there was a new dinosaur in town – ‘Iggy’ The Iguanadon Restaurant street theatre. The show illustrates how significant fossils found in the 19th century led to theories of extinction and evolution and challenged long-held beliefs. Pigs will fly out of pies and blancmanges will explode in the Iguanodon Restaurant!

Fossil Festival

The kids also got up close and personal with fossils, bones and other creatures. Eliza astounded one man with her knowledge of caterpillar’s and their metamorphosis into butterflies as she has been studying them at school. Of course being in Lyme Regis, there had to be a beach stop too.

Fossil Festival

On Bank Holiday Monday itself we didn’t venture too far from home as I arrived home a midnight after a busy Blog On and road closures on the way home, choosing to venture to our local village fete and Donkey Derby.

Donkey Derby

The field was packed full of things to do with Bric-a-Brac stalls, challenges, local produce and of course a bouncy castle slide and children’s fairground rides.

The highlight of the day was the actual Donkey Derby, with several races which you could bet on and laugh along with the riders. There were a few fallers, none were injured, and they all gallantly remounted their trusty steed to get to the finish line.

Donkey Derby

It may not have been a conventional family bank holiday weekend, but we all made the best of it and the kids had great fun!

Country Kids from Coombe Mill Family Farm Holidays Cornwall

27 thoughts on “A Bank Holiday Full of Fun!

1. Steph says:

Aww, what a great weekend! Did you have a good time at Blog On? I really wanted to attend… It’s quite amazing how much you managed to fit into 3 days! x

2. tanya says:

looks like the children had a fantastic weekend, we were hoping to go to the fossil festival but didnt make it this year, although we do have some fossil hunting lined up for later in the summer.

3. Globalmouse says:

Dorset has some seriously fun events! You live in a great country for interesting traditions and events!!
    Globalmouse recently posted…Exploring Cannaregio and the back streets of Venice, Italy with childrenMy Profile

4. Anosa says:

Knob throwing definitely peaked my interest, I think any time spent with family is the best time unconventional or otherwise.

5. Sonya Cisco says:

I have still never made it to the knob throwing festival – honestly as a Dorset girl born and bred that is bad isn’t it!
    Sonya Cisco recently posted…Ceylon and Vanilla Cupcakes and Win Goodies from We Are TeaMy Profile

6. That looks like a brilliant weekend!

I want to do some knob throwing now 😉
    Cass@frugalfamily recently posted…How I manage my Work:Life:Blog balance….My Profile

7. Gosh you packed a lot in. I love the Dorset Knob 🙂 It’s also great that you have so much close to home. #CountryKids
    Bear and Cardigan recently posted…Sea And Sand – Barry IslandMy Profile

8. Must get back to your part of the world, loved Lyme Regis as a kid. We have Cock on a Stick at the Goose Fair in Nottingham, we should do a round up of knob themed events 😉 Looks FAB! #countrykids
    Penny Alexander recently posted…Scottish Road Trip Chapter 2: The Road to Skye and Eilean Donan CastleMy Profile

What a full on Bank Holiday Weekend for you all. It sounds like betting to blog On required plenty of organizing, just as well you have family around to help. All the activities look fun and how wonderful for you to know the kids were getting to them all even if you weren’t there. I love the look of the Donkey Darby, that looks such fun for riders and watchers. Thank you for sharing your unconventional but action packed weekend with me on #CountryKids
    Coombe Mill recently posted…Padstow Tide Times for 7th May 2016My Profile

10. Anna-Maria says:

Knob throwing seems fun. Love bank holidays and they are the best when spent with family.
    Anna-Maria recently posted…Growing Up and Growing ApartMy Profile

11. Anna-Maria says:

Anna-Maria recently posted…Growing Up and Growing ApartMy Profile

12. anthea says:

Right, I want to be able to say I’ve thrown a knob so guess where I’ll be next year?! I love that you mentioned a fossil festival as well. My girls would love that. We have a house full of fossils!

13. It sounds like a really fun packed bank holiday weekend.
    Nayna Kanabar recently posted…Blueberry, Peach and Apple Smoothie BowlMy Profile

14. Jen says:

I adore the idea of knob throwing, in fact it really cheered me up. Want a fab time you all had.
    Jen recently posted…Where I work – A glimpse in to our Office and Craft RoomMy Profile

15. Adele says:

Looks like you all had an amazing day out. I have family in the Isle of Man and they make a hard sweet there called Manx Knobs. Always produces a laugh when you bring a pack back as a gift 😉
    Adele recently posted…Gender RevealMy Profile

16. Lol to the knob throwing!!! We live near Stilton where they do cheese rolling which I thought was odd when we moved here. The Fossils looked great, I know mine would have loved that.

17. I’ve never heard of knob throwing but now I really want to go – just so I can tell everyone! 😀
    Jessica Powell recently posted…Let Kids Be KidsMy Profile

18. Louise says:

Knob throwing does sound fun! Looks like you had a great time at the Donkey Derby – what a brilliant weekend! x
    Louise recently posted…Comment on Disney on Ice – a piece of the magic! #Disney #silveranniversary #Leeds #Nottingham by Susan MannMy Profile

19. Emma says:

What a fantastic bank holiday weekend! Packed full of great activities! Love the knob throwing! ;D
    Emma recently posted…The Simple Things – MayMy Profile

20. Sarah Ebner says:

So glad the kids had fun. I must admit to never having heard of the Knob Throwing festival, but am glad you managed to do so many enjoyable knob-related things…
    Sarah Ebner recently posted…The Cartoon Museum in LondonMy Profile

21. joanna says:

You’ve managed to fit so much in over the bank holiday. We went to the local may fair on Monday and also did a bit spring cleaning.
    joanna recently posted…Charity Shop Haul #1My Profile

22. I love the Dorset knob throwing festival! It’s ace what traditions rural areas have. A place I visit in Gloucester does cheese rolling! (down a hill!)
    JuggleMum, Nadine Hill recently posted…Girls night in!My Profile

23. Dorset knob throwing? I admit I’ve never heard that before… But I’m always up for trying out something new. Would love to also go to the Fossil Festival especially since I really enjoyed our camping trip out in Lyme Regis. x
    Dean of Little Steps recently posted…Caption This:My Profile

24. Anne says:

I’m exhausted just reading that, what a lot you all managed to fit in. It looks like good fun, I particularly like the knob festival. It’s great you managed a trip to the beach too.
    Anne recently posted…Elhers Danlos Syndrome Awareness Month.My Profile

25. Fi Ni Neachtain says:

My other half usually has to work bank holidays too, something which I really hate. It’s great that you all managed to have a fun-filled bank holiday.

26. I sure remember you guys doing the Dorset Knob thingy before 🙂 So great that he did both events. And lovely it meant you were free to go to Manchester. So you didn’t do Winchester then no?
    Amazing that Blog On had SUCH a great turnout considering it was the bank holiday weekend. You all looked like you were having a riot. I virtually followed it all on Instagram and everyone looked so happy. HollyBobbs video of the day is superb xx
    Liska @NewMumOnline recently posted…Mills and Boon Releases The Art of Romance | Over 40 Book Covers for Adults to Colour InMy Profile