Isaac’s Science Party

Isaac's Birthday

Last year when watching Dragon’s Den we saw Mad Mark win funding from the Dragon’s for his science parties and from then Isaac knew just what sort of party he wanted for his birthday.

Sadly, looking into it, Mark’s company doesn’t cover Dorset but after a bit of research I discovered Fun Science Dorset and booked their complete package for a joint party for Isaac and his friend Scott and we hired our local community centre so we didn’t have to worry about trying to squeeze in my house, although you could have a science party at home if you had a big enough room.

We printed the free invitations from the website and handed them out. It felt like such a long wait but finally Saturday arrived. We set up the hall ready for everyone and our host, Kinetic Kate, arrived with her equipment which Isaac and Eliza both insisting that they help her set up.

Isaac's Birthday

We booked the complete package which consisted of a chemical/electrical extravaganza for roughly 65 minutes before a break for the children to sit down to eat their party tea and then a second half where they run a sweets and surprises party for half an hour after the children had finished eating.

I cannot praise Kinetic Kate highly enough. She was fun, factual and engaging with the children, testing their knowledge in a fun way. I have never seen a group of 24 children so quiet at a party – until the fun chemical reactions that is, which they met with whoops and cheers. Some of the experiments included blowing up a balloon without using their mouth, making slime and a fun volcano.

Science Party

Next up was an introduction to the Van de Graaff generator which is a machine Kinetic Kate used to make people’s hair stick up as well as making lightning – all using static electricity! She also used flashing circuit balls and the kids had to link up to become a circuit whilst learning about conductors, insulators and switches.

Science Party

Everyone got a turn at making their hair stick up, which caused lots of giggles especially when she turned the generator off as the hair literally snapped back down into position. The kids then got to try out the science of colours by making rainbows appear before their very eyes whilst Kate set up the slime making. Everyone put on an apron and then made slime in the colour of their choice which they got to put in a bag and take home after the party.

Science Party

It was now time for some food and the kids sat down eat excitedly chatting about what they had been up to before the second half before singing Happy Birthday to the birthday boys. I must send a big shout out to my friend Helen from Scrumptilicious Cakes for making Isaac’s Ghostbusters cake – it was amazing.

Isaac's Birthday

They started the second half of the party by making their own (additive free!) sherbet to take home in an envelope. Some of their faces were hilarious as they tried the very sour sherbet! They also found out what puts the fizz into our fizzy drinks and we headed outside to do the mentos in a bottle of lemonade experiment which definitely got the loudest cheers of the day. The final experiment of the day was making candy floss and everyone got to have a taste, including the adults, before the children were handed their own certificates with their new scientist names.

Science Party

If you are looking for a party with a difference then I cannot recommend this highly enough. The kids had a blast and what’s more, they were learning too without realising it.

24 thoughts on “Isaac’s Science Party

1. Charly Dove says:

What an absolutely brilliant idea for a party, I love this! Sounds like Isaac had the most amazing time too. I’m sure it won’t be long before Poppy will be wanting to tinker around with science, not that I’m any help! Spent too much time shoving my Bic in the bunsen burner LOL 🙂
    Charly Dove recently posted…Wizard Wix’s Willow Warren and beyondMy Profile

2. The party looks and sounds awesome. If the host is good then you are half way there aren’t you. The cake looks amazing too
    Zena’s Suitcase recently posted…How to Have a Better Relationship with Your PartnerMy Profile

3. tanya says:

it looks like he had an amazing time. Kinetic Kate runs a fun science group for local home educators that a few friends got to and I’ve always heard great things.

4. This looks and sounds like such a fun birthday party. His cake is amazing! I hope that he had the best day xx
    Lindsay @ Newcastle Family Life recently posted…Thing’s I Loved In AprilMy Profile

5. Sonia says:

Great photos! Looks like an awesome party! Loved watching the video x
    Sonia recently posted…GCSE Preparation TipsMy Profile

6. Kerry Norris says:

Wow this is a super cool party. It looks amazing. That cake is fab as well. X

7. oana79 says:

Oh wow, Kara, what a brilliant idea for a birthday party! Emma has such an inquisitive mind and I will certainly look into it and see if there is anything similar in Northern Ireland for her next birthday party!
    oana79 recently posted…New Resources to Support Bereaved ChildrenMy Profile

8. Jen says:

Woah, what an awesome party and wow that cake was something special.
    Jen recently posted…Mythbusting – Head lice and NITSMy Profile

9. Sonya Cisco says:

That sounds utterly brilliant! And the cake is awesome!
    Sonya Cisco recently posted…Vanilla Fudge and Sea Salt BrowniesMy Profile

10. What a fab idea for something different and engaging! I’ll definitely be keeping this in mind for when our daughter is older.

11. This is such a good idea for a birthday party, so different from anything I have seen before. I shall have to look online to see if there is anything similar where we live. Looks like Isaac had a great time 🙂

I love this, such an amazing and different idea for a birthday party. Well done, you always throw such great parties for your children.
    Coombe Mill recently posted…Padstow Tide Times for 25th April 2016My Profile

13. Ickle Pickle says:

This is awesome – what a fantastic theme, it looks so much fun! Kaz x
    Ickle Pickle recently posted…Win a Q Pootle 5 DVDMy Profile

14. Ninja cat says:

What a superb theme for a party

Happy birthday Issac

I love the cake
    Ninja cat recently posted…Slow Cooker Gammon With Sweet PotatoesMy Profile

15. Michelle says:

What a fun theme for a party! And that cake is just AMAZING!!
    Michelle recently posted…10 Tips For Choosing Bathroom TilesMy Profile

16. Anne says:

Wow, that looks really cool, what a great idea for a party, I bet the kids talked about it for ages. I love the cake too, really impressive.
    Anne recently posted…Why I Miss My Bubble BathsMy Profile

17. This looks like a great idea for a party. I’m so tired of the stress of going to parties where the kids spend two hours running around and kicking each other!
    nessjibberjabberuk recently posted…Walk to school with Churchill #lollipoppersMy Profile

18. How lovely that the kids are all learning about science without even realising it! They all look amazing in their white coats.
    Izzie Anderton recently posted…Nineteen ninety-nineMy Profile

19. The science party is so cool and I love their white coats! I can see why the kids loved the party and I bet Isaac had a smashing time!!
    JuggleMum, Nadine Hill recently posted…Turning InwardMy Profile

20. This looks so much fun, what a great party theme and the cake is AMAZING!

21. I absolutely love this idea! What a great party to have, children are so into things like this so I can see it was a huge hit

22. Ali Duke says:

What a great idea. Looks like they all had great fun.
    I love that there are so many options for birthday parties now, wish they had those when I was younger:)

23. I saw some of the pictures you put on Facebook and it looked great, something that engages the children as well as them having fun makes for a great party in my books. We’ve always tried to think out of the box and make it a little bit different. Absolutely brilliant and look at those two proud faces at the end with their certificate 🙂
    The Mummy Diary recently posted…Loveland Farm Glamping – A Week Away from it AllMy Profile