Day Three of our Normandy Adventure – Le Mont St Michel

Le Mont St Michel

Our Normandy holiday was for Hubby and Kian to indulge their love of history and WW2 in particular but I had one place on the list that I insisted on visiting – Le Mont St Michel.

I last visited as a young teen, too many years ago to count and was keen to return and explore as an adult.

The magical island is topped by a gravity-defying medieval monastery and is one of France’s most amazing sights and it is plainly visible from the motorway as we approached it.

Le Mont St Michel is one of Europe’s major pilgrimage destinations and is now a UNESCO World Heritage site as is its breathtaking bay which is subject to the largest tidal range in continental Europe during spring tides. The waters can withdraw as far as 25km from the shore and after low tide, the local saying goes that the sea waters rush back in to the bay ‘at the pace of a galloping horse’.  When I last visited you had to walk along a causeway with lots of warnings about quick sand, but this has now been replaced with a bridge and a free shuttle bus service to and from the island.

The Benedictine abbey on top of the mount is reached via a steep and winding village street lined by museums, restaurants and shops. It is beautiful with “WOW” moments around every corner, although if travelling with young children they tire very quickly. I ended up having to carry Sebby most of the way which was a bit of a killer on the stone steps!

le mont st michel

Once above the main village area you are offered spectacular views over the bay and my only disappointment is that I saw it when the tide was out. There are a couple of hotels on the island and I would love to stay there and watch a full tidal change and join a guided walk across the bay.

The Benedictine Abbey that sits atop the island is well worth a visit and cost us just €18 for the family to get in to.  Although not as beautiful as the Cathédrale Notre-Dame de Bayeux that we had seen the day before, the atmosphere of the church and cloisters and also that of the grand chambers was far more special. Some of the architecture reminded us of Hogwarts and the kids had great fun pretending to take the floo network in a giant fireplace.

Le Mont St Michel

The great chambers of the Marvel were really impressive and it’s only when you get outside that you realise was a feat of engineering this must have been as it clings so spectacularly to the rock. It is amazing to think that this has been here in some form for over 1,000 years.

Far above the abbey church’s spectacular flying buttresses and Gothic pinnacles, an acrobatic statue of Saint Michael, weigher of souls, stands at the highest point on the mount, although it was obscured by scaffolding on our visit.

Le Mont St Michel

We made our way back down, stopping at a patisserie for some donuts as the walk had made the kids starving. I will warn you that the shops here are very expensive and we payed €5 for each donut.

If you plan on visiting with young children, be aware that it a very steep climb with lots of steps and inaccessible for a buggy, so use a back carrier or sling if possible but it well worth it.

Lou Messugo

28 thoughts on “Day Three of our Normandy Adventure – Le Mont St Michel

1. Nomandy is not a place I am familiar with but I have heard about it a few times and sounds like a great place to visit. The abbey looks absolutely gorgeous.
    Miranda (Anosa) recently posted…{Travel} Weekend Getaway to Amsterdam #2016My Profile

2. Sonia says:

Wow it looks like such a beautiful place, will have to add this to my list of places to visit when we next go over x
    Sonia recently posted…Would you know what to do if your baby stopped breathing?My Profile

This looks amazing, I can see why you were keen to return, I’m now adding it to my list of places to visit one day. I love the photos of the quirky steps and architecture there but I can imagine it is very hard going with little ones. All worth it for a doughnut though, even if they come at a price. Thank you for sharing another of your lovely day rips from France with me on Country Kids
    Coombe Mill recently posted…Padstow Tide Times for 4th March 2016My Profile

4. Globalmouse says:

This is somewhere I’ve wanted to visit for the longest time and it looks fantastic….I need to get to Normandy!!
    Globalmouse recently posted…A family stay in the Stølstunet Apartments, Beitostølen, NorwayMy Profile

5. This looks like such a great holiday, my men would love the idea of a WWII break too. I must have a think to see if we can fit this in. Thanks, Mich x
    Michelle Twin Mum recently posted…What is Love?My Profile

6. Ickle Pickle says:

I am sure my sister visited here on a school holiday trip – I haven’t been, it looks amazing. Those donuts are a little pricey though! Kaz x
    Ickle Pickle recently posted…Weekly Photo 2015 #10My Profile

7. The monastery looks really magical. What a great day out for all the family. I do agree though, 5 euros for a doughnut is really steep 🙁

8. Candace says:

I’m loving reading all of your adventures. I went as a child and visited so many of these places
    Candace recently posted…Things I Love (February 2016)My Profile

9. Sonya Cisco says:

I visited there when I was about 19 – it was beautiful – I would love to go back one day! But you are right, take a picnic as it is pricey!
    Sonya Cisco recently posted…Banana and Fudge MuffinsMy Profile

10. Erica Price says:

Mont St Michel is very much on my to do list. I’ve already been to our equivalent.
    Erica Price recently posted…Mother’s Day Treats At The BullringMy Profile

11. I’ve visited St Michael’s Mount in Cornwall many times, but never been to Mont St Michel, which looks amazing! If I do visit I’ll be sure to take a picnic!!
    Izzie Anderton recently posted…The Truth About Running a HomeMy Profile

12. Laura says:

What a beautiful place, it looks like you are all having a wonderful time!

13. Laura says:

What a beautiful place, it looks like you are all having a wonderful time!

14. Laura says:

What a beautiful place, it looks like you are all having a wonderful time!

15. Andrea says:

Wow what a fabulous place. I love visiting places that are unique and full of history, beautiful photo opportunities too.

16. Mary says:

Looks like a beautiful place and great exercise with all those steps! I have also visited Normandy as a teenager bit would love to go back.

17. Emma says:

what a wonderful place I would love to explore here in the summer when you can take your time.

18. This looks so beautiful – I would love to spend a day exploring here. Although perhaps with my own snacks, I guess you’re literally a captive market at times!
    Cathy ( MummyTravels ) recently posted…10 tips for visiting the British Museum with kidsMy Profile

19. Louise says:

This looks really beautiful – you can sense the history in your photos. Rubbish being ripped off for doughnuts though – hope they tasted good! xx

20. Louise says:

21. Louise says:

Louise recently posted…Comment on Emotional intelligence in our children @beckygoddardh #finkchat @finkcards by BeckyMy Profile

22. Sarah Ebner says:

This is one of my daughter’s favourite places! She went with school and loved it so much, she keeps asking to go back. It’s so beautiful, isn’t it?

23. Mari says:

Like you I first visited as a teen and was stunned by its magnificence, however, when we were in the area a couple of years ago I was so disappointed to see the car parks, and ticket booths before you’d got anywhere near the island.
    You’ve written about it beautifully and hopefully one day I shall return to visit.

24. Jayne says:

It’s such a shame when places like this capitalise on their popularity in such an extortionate way. It looks like a gorgeous and very interesting place but those prices would definitely put me off.

25. I love Mont St Michel and have been lucky enough to do a guided walk out in the bay. We first visited when the boys were tiny so had to dump buggies for a backpack and little legs, although luckily they loved climbing up all the steps. Definitely a good place to visit for fitness as well as beauty and history!
    Rosie @Eco-Gites of Lenault recently posted…My Sunday Photo – 28th February 2016My Profile

26. Jen says:

Mont st Michel is my happy place. It is somewhere me and the husbeast have visited a lot of times and we both love it. It truly is a magical place

27. Wow it looks gorgeous there, it’s on my list of “to visit” places! But 5 euros for a doughnut, ouch!
    Elaine @ Entertaining Elliot recently posted…Smartening Up…..#WeekendTotStyle #5My Profile

28. That looks like an amazing place to visit. I can’t believe how expensive it is though ! It sounds like you had a much better day after your disappointing visit to guernsey xx
    Lindsay @ Newcastle Family Life recently posted…Things I Loved In FebruaryMy Profile