Day Five of our Normandy Adventure

Arromanches

It is difficult to say which day was our favourite on our break in Normandy as they were all special in their own way.

Day one introduced us to the history of WW2 with a visit to St Mere Eglise, Utah Beach and Pointe Du Hoc.

Day two started us off on a medieval adventure with a visit to Bayeux and the Cathédrale Notre-Dame de Bayeux and the famous Bayeux Tapestry followed by Omaha Beach and the American Cemetery.

Day three was the simply stunning Le Mont St Michel and Day four was a day where we stayed at Eco-Gites Lenault to enjoy a snow day, but Day five just pips it for me and I think it was because it was the day Hubby got to visit Pegasus Bridge and Arromanches.

I have to admit I was not bothered about visiting the Pegasus Bridge at first as I didn’t understand its significance in WW2 but I am so glad we did.

Pegasus Bridge is a bascule bridge (a type of movable bridge), that was built in 1934, that crossed the Caen Canal, between Caen and Ouistreham, in Normandy, France. Its capture was a major objective of the British airborne troops in the opening minutes of the Allied invasion of Normandy on 6 June 1944.

A unit of Glider infantry of the British 6th Airborne Division, commanded by Major John Howard, was to land, take the bridges intact and hold them until relieved. The successful taking of the bridges played an important role in limiting the effectiveness of a German counter-attack in the days and weeks following the Normandy invasion.

PEGASUS BRIDGE

The bridge itself has been replaced, however there are statues where each glider landed in 1944 and a big plaque on the first house liberated all those years ago. Just yards from the bridge is the museum and this was my favourite of our holiday as it was packed full of memorabilia and information. The kids were enthralled by a 12 minute film of the operation too.

Pegasus Bridge

Outside was the original Pegasus Bridge which you could walk over, a replica Horsa Glider, and a Bailey Bridge – a temporary bridge of lattice steel designed for rapid assembly from prefabricated standard parts, used especially in military operations. We discovered that both the Horsa Glider and the Bailey Bridge parts were made locally, which really instilled a sense of pride for me and now I know why the pub is called the Bailey Bridge!

Pegasus Bridge

For the rest of the day we headed back to the coast to visit the rest of the landing beaches, starting with Sword beach, where the British landed on D-Day. We found a lovely pier to run across and underneath it was the biggest collection of seashells I have ever seen. The kids were in their element finding them and we came away with a few that are now proudly displayed in a glass vase at home.

Sword Beach

The coastal drive between beaches was lovely with monuments and statues dotted along the coastline and hubby stopped to get out at all of them. Our next big stop however was Juno Beach, where the Canadian Infantry Division landed in D-Day. There is a small museum there with memorials to all those who served and lost their lives outside and lots of bunkers outside which were sadly closed off to the public, although they do run guided tours in the summer months.

Juno Beach

Gold Beach was our next stop and probably the most awe-inspiring one of the whole trip because it is also the site for the Mulberry Harbour at Arromanches which was an artificial port that was vital for bringing in troops and supplies. The British built huge floating concrete caissons which, after being towed from England, then had to be assembled to form walls and piers forming and defining the artificial port and some are still visible today.

Gold Beach

The site is really impressive from the cliff top, but standing by a massive caisson takes your breath away. The feat of engineering is impressive by modern-day standards, never mind the fact they were built 70 years ago.

Mulberry Harbour

Just beyond the headland was Pointe Du Hoc, where we had visited on the first day so we had completed our mission to visit all the D-Day beaches.

The trip certainly inspired us all and we have all learned things about the events of the WW2 that we didn’t know before. We did avoid the 360° cinema as had been warned it was not suitable for children here.

We headed back to base, a little sad that today was our last full day in Normandy, but determined we will return soon.

Lou Messugo

23 thoughts on “Day Five of our Normandy Adventure

What a wonderful voyage of discovery, I think this is my favourite of your days away too, so much in one day and so much history. I love the story of the bridge and the origins of the name. I find the whole area fascinating with the D Day landings and all the monuments and shelters still around today along the coastal road. That pier looks fab for the children too and their haul of shells, a lovely way to remember your day. Thank you for sharing with me on Country Kids.
    Coombe Mill recently posted…Padstow Tide Times for 4th March 2016My Profile

2. Michelle says:

What a fascinating place to visit – looks very interesting, and I bet really humbling as well
    Michelle recently posted…Laundry Tips (That Spans The Generations)My Profile

3. Wow so much to take in! Looks so interesting and the beaches looks gorgeous too. How good for the children to learn all about the war etc in this fun way! x
    Carolynne @ Mummy Endeavours recently posted…We are Thorpe Park AmbassadorsMy Profile

4. oana79 says:

Kara, you did so much in five days, with three little ones in tow! We loved that part of the world and would love to return during the summer and explore more of its history and natural beauty!xx
    oana79 recently posted…A spoonful of strengthMy Profile

5. Idaintyit says:

What an amazing trip you guys had. I love history, not very good at remembering dates and things but I still enjoy learning about it
    Idaintyit recently posted…Seriously Awkward – Awareness WednesdayMy Profile

6. WOW. It looks AMAZING!!! I would absolutely love to go there — particularly as my grandad was in Normandy during the war. Fab pictures Kara, thanks so much for sharing! 🙂
    Caro | The Twinkle Diaries recently posted…Home Etc #40My Profile

7. Jen says:

So many memories of happy times for me exploring this part of Normandy with my fella. My Grandad was a ship builder and helped build the floating harbour. It is really an ingenious thing and so interesting.
    Jen recently posted…Living with boys – Needing to transition our playspaceMy Profile

8. What amazing experiences you have had on this trip. I would love to visit Normandy with my children!
    Michaela Britton recently posted…Primary School Admissions – And What To Do When It All Goes WrongMy Profile

9. Sonya Cisco says:

Your posts have been bringing back so many memories – I did two school trips to Normandy and we seemed to have visited all the same places – I have pics of me and my mates at Pegasus Bridge – as a child visiting these places made the war so much more real, I found it very moving and sad actually – even at 11.
    Sonya Cisco recently posted…Banana and Fudge MuffinsMy Profile

10. What an amazing learning experience for you all. I love the statue on Juno beach
    Sarah | Boo Roo and Tigger Too recently posted…The family guide to Thomas Land™ at Drayton ManorMy Profile

11. Kizzy says:

This is something I’d love to do, my eldest can’t wait to go with the school next month.
    Kizzy recently posted…#TheYearInBooks February Thoughts and March PicksMy Profile

12. Candace says:

I love how you are visiting so many places especially ones with an educational/history angle. Just the sort of holiday we like
    Candace recently posted…Things I Love (February 2016)My Profile

13. Charlotte says:

I had no idea about Pegasus bridge! there’s some great history there and it’s fantastic you are sharing that with your family!! loving this series from your travels!
    Charlotte recently posted…Avoiding The Mummy Hermit EffectMy Profile

14. Ness says:

It’s an amazing area to visit. I still find it very hard to imagine that so much happened during the war in that area and the impact it had.
    Ness recently posted…Spring cleaning tips from the professionalsMy Profile

15. Emma Shilton says:

Gosh, what an interesting break. You certainly crammed a lot in.

I would love to know more about WW1 and WW2 I really didn’t pay attention to it at school and it’s only now I appreciate all the sacrificies of those men and women that were involved.

16. Sara-Jayne says:

Your trip really was an epic one! I’m so envious – all that history! I knew nothing about the WW and got a huge shock when I signed up as an Officer. Go figure! At least I know now, I suppose, but I wish I had learned when I was younger.
    Sara-Jayne recently posted…INTRODUCING “PINCHER” [STINGBACK: WILD PETS SCORPION REVIEW]My Profile

17. Wow you really managed to fit a lot into this trip! I enjoyed reading about your favourite day!!
    JuggleMum, Nadine Hill recently posted…Hosting a spring party: The essentialsMy Profile

18. Liz Burton says:

My Grandad was involved in the D-Day landings and it was very emotional when we went over there to visit some of these places with him a few years ago.
    Liz Burton recently posted…Celebrate Earth Hour 2016My Profile

19. Anne says:

I can see why it was your favourite day, what an amazing places full to the brim of history. I think I’ve just decided where I’d like to take my hubby-to-be on our honeymoon, he would so love this place.

20. Laura says:

It looks like your having the most amazing time and fitting so much in!

21. It must be such a fascinating place to visit. I loved learning about the wars in school and thanks to my Dad I have always had a huge interest in history. I think he would love to visit Normandy if he hasn’t already. Will have to ask him when I see him! (And point him towards your posts if he hasn’t)

22. Wow, what an amazing trip! I’d love to go to Normandy, I’ve always said that a huge failing in my childhood education was zero topics on either of the World Wars and I’d really like to make sure the kids learn more than I did (and I can catch up too!) xx
    Hannah Budding Smiles recently posted…Unsolicited Parenting Advice And Downright RudenessMy Profile