Making a Break for it!

Sandbanks

We are a very outdoorsy family and normally a little bit of rain doesn’t stop us from getting outside, however when that rain is constant and torrential like is has been almost constantly for weeks, even we stay indoors.

On Sunday the day started as it had been for the previous week – raining, however my weather app predicted a two-hour break between 2pm and 4pm so I bundled the kids in the car and made our way to the beach. It rained all the way there and my weather app isn’t normally that accurate and I did worry that the rain wouldn’t stop, however as we pulled into the car park the rain stopped and the sun even came out to play.

We had timed it so perfectly that we were the only ones in the car park and Eliza was instantly drawn to a huge lake puddle in the middle of it. I finally managed to crowbar her away and headed for the beach. The good thing about storms is that they wash all sorts of things up onto the beach and we collected old rope, seaweed and shells to make a mermaid on the sand.

Sandbanks

The great thing about the beach at Sandbanks is that it has huge sand dunes to play on. We soon embarked on a game of hide and seek although I am not entirely sure that Sebby understood the concept of hiding as all you could hear was giggling, but it was fun nonetheless.

Sandbanks

We walked much further up than we have before and the sand dunes get bigger the further you go up the beach and the kids were climbing up them and sliding back down again on their bottoms. After about an hour of climbing I could see the clouds heading back in again, so we made our way back towards the car and had some fun in the park before heading home.

Sandbanks

We timed our escape just right as the heavens opened again as we drove out of the car park but we were all happy to have had some much-needed fresh air in our lungs.

Country Kids from Coombe Mill Family Farm Holidays Cornwall

24 thoughts on “Making a Break for it!

1. Love getting outdoors too -especially when the weather lets you!

2. Ickle Pickle says:

We love outings like this – we too have had nothing but rain. Today actually is the best day we have had since early December! Great photos. Kaz x
    Ickle Pickle recently posted…Five Top Toys for a Three Year OldMy Profile

3. oana79 says:

Magical times, Kara, we started getting out again and we enjoyed some lovely moments at the park last week. The kids need their exercise even in winter and a bit of fresh air does wonders for us as well.xx
    oana79 recently posted…Coping Toolbox for the BereavedMy Profile

4. So lucky to have Sandbanks on your doorstep, you definitely have to embrace the few dry patches at the moment. Mich x
    Michelle Twin Mum recently posted…The Day I Lost My SmileMy Profile

5. We love Sandbanks and hope to visit some time this year. Looks like you all had a fab afternoon.

Laura x
    Mummy Lala (Laura) recently posted…The Stay at Home Crowd #5My Profile

6. Erica Price says:

We love playing in the sand dunes too – a lot of fun can be had there.
    Erica Price recently posted…Reading The Book FirstMy Profile

7. looks like a lot of fun was had by all. great shots.
    sherry from sherrys pickings recently posted…Cheese MuffinsMy Profile

8. What a brilliant app – which one is it? I’m glad that you all had a fun time. The video is gorgeous.
    Mums do travel recently posted…Warner Bros Studio Tour: The Making of Harry PotterMy Profile

9. Sonia says:

How lovely that you managed to find a break from the rain to enjoy some time at the beach, I would love to be able to do that with the kids. One day we will live near the sea x
    Sonia recently posted…Instagram Weekly 4th-10th Jan 2016My Profile

10. Jen says:

I love that you managed to get some fresh air. We have really struggled with it, but the boys were out in a break in the rain yesterday

11. Pinkoddy says:

I have not heard of such a weather app – sounds good. And how great to have sun, puddles and the place to yourselves. That mermaid is pretty impressive.
    Pinkoddy recently posted…Getting into running when you are totally unfit #MotivationalMondayMy Profile

12. Eve says:

Sandbanks looks lovely! I’d love to go there. There’s some beautiful places in England. I think England is very underrated for holiday destinations and you don’t always have to go abroad for a break away x

13. Globalmouse says:

Love your photos at Sandbanks, they’re beautiful! You are so good at getting out and about Kara, really impressive!

14. Brilliant! I love that you have this so close to your house, very lucky family! Everyone looks really happy to be out and about for a little while!! 🙂
    Lianne | TheBrunetteSays… recently posted…You Should Be Watching : Pretty Little LiarsMy Profile

15. Sarah says:

I’m glad you found a break in the weather! The weather has been awful lately so it’s nice to get out while it’s not raining! That huge puddle looks like fun, haha. Beautiful photos, it sounds like you had a lovely time! Lets hope Spring makes an appearance soon 🙂 xx
    Sarah recently posted…Blue skies in winter.My Profile

16. I think it’s wonderful how your children get to spend their childhood on a beach!! I wish we weren’t so land locked where we are – those are lovely memories for them to look back on!! x
    JuggleMum, Nadine Hill recently posted…Review: Dyson Smallball AnimalMy Profile

17. Lucy says:

You definitely made great use of that break in the rain – they look like they are having a fab time! #countrykids

18. Natalie Ray says:

How lovely. I always need to get outdoors in bad weather too, I get cabin fever. Your photos are fabulous, you can see how much they’re loving the fresh air.x

19. Cathy Glynn says:

It’s fab that you have a beach close at hand, the kids looked like they had so much fun. X
    Cathy Glynn recently posted…My Sunday Photo 10th January 2016My Profile

What a beautiful place to be able to get to and dust off those cobwebs, I find being by the sea just so relaxing x
    Rachel recently posted…Libbie Club for JanuaryMy Profile

I bet you were pleased that your weather app had been right and your time on the beach was possible, the kids look like they were. There’s nothing worse than being trapped in the house for more than a week and being unable to do anything about it, I’m glad you found the motivation to get out and enjoy yourselves. I bet it was fab playing hide and seek with the three of them and just hearing Sebby’s giggling. Thanks for linking up with me on Country Kids.

22. Lucy says:

Its funny how children are magnetised to puddles. I wish we lived nearer to the beach, its one of my favourite places to be.

23. Aww I love that Sebby was giggling as he hide, so cute
    Sarah | Boo Roo and Tigger Too recently posted…Living Arrows Week One {2016}My Profile