To Sodor and Back at Thomas Land

Thomas land

I may have mentioned it before but Sebastian is Thomas the Tank Engine mad so one of his birthday presents was tickets to go to Thomas Land at Drayton Manor.

We last went to Thomas Land when Sebby was just 3 months old and really enjoyed exploring Thomas Land, the zoo and Drayton Manor Park itself but they opened the new Thomas Land expansion earlier on this year and we were keen to see what they had done.

We set off nice and early to get to the park for opening at 10.30am and arrived at 10.15.  Sebastian’s face was a picture when he saw the signs and from the moment we arrived in the park until we left he was waving to the trains shouting “Choo Choo”.

thomasland

The park was lovely and quiet upon our arrival so we took advantage of the short queues and did as many rides a possible before it got busy.  Sebastian gravitated towards the flying rides first as it is his other obsession and him and Isaac flew Daddy around on Harold’s Helicopter Tours and Eliza flew me.

Thomasland

From up on high you can see the new rides and as Sebastian was in charge we headed over to the expansion to Jeremy’s Jet Flying Academy.  We got distracted on the way by a musical show that was just starting which saw Sir Topham Hat and two helpers singing and dancing on the balcony above Knapford Station. My one complaint on our last visit was the state of the toilets and baby changing facilities and I am pleased to say these have been addressed with brand new toilets.  There is also a family room, baby change area and four cubicles with comfy chairs where you can breastfeed in comfort.

Thomasland

The Thomas Land expansion area really adds to the whole Thomas experience and looks just like everything does on the TV show. There is a large Sir Topham Hat fountain to admire and the rides are nicely spaced out so it doesn’t feel too crowded.  My one little moan is that the queuing system for Jeremy’s Jet Flying Academy and Flynn’s Fire and Rescue are not big enough and the queues spilled out into open space and got a little muddled up as people didn’t realise it was the queue.

Thomasland

I was impressed that Sebastian could go on the majority of the rides available, as being little for his age means that very often he cannot join in.  The only rides he could not go on were Captain’s Sea Adventure, Cranky Crane, Toby’s Tram Express, Troublesome Trucks Coaster and Diesel’s Locomotive Mayhem but there does need to be rides there to entertain the older ones and they have a good balance.

Thomasland

Despite being mid July we never queued for more than 20 minutes for a ride but most were under 10 minutes and some we walked straight on to.  It did get substantially quieter over the lunchtime period and we ate our picnic lunch whilst queuing.

Thomasland

We spent over 4 ours in Thomas Land before heading out into the main park to explore, starting with the zoo.  They have hundreds of animals to see including Tigers, Black Panthers as well as apes, meerkats, owls and reptiles.

Drayton Manor Zoo

At the opposite end of the zoo are the Dinosaurs and Spencer’s Activity Park.  Isaac and Eliza had fun making scared faces with the dinosaurs and all the kids adored the freedom of running around the park.

Drayton Manor

Further on are some more animals to see, a large model railway of the Island of Sodor and the chance to drive Terence The Tractor.

Drayton Manor

At this end of the park you can catch either Thomas, Percy or Rosie at Tidmouth Hault who are busily taking passengers to and fro along their branch line to the other end of Thomas Land and Knapford Station. The station interiors and platforms are decorated with props of items seen in a small countryside railway station during the age of steam and there are lots to see on your journey back including animals and models.

Thomasland

By the time we got back to the main part of Thomas Land I was conscious that it was 4pm and we had not done any of the bigger rides for Kian so we said our goodbyes to the trains and headed over to the rollercoasters and log flume.  Whilst they got their adrenalin fix we posed for some pictures on the Air Race seat.  Sebby loved watching Daddy and Kian fly around doing loop de loops, I have to admit it made me queasy watching them.

They are extending Thomas Land further with exciting new rides opening in 2016, we will definitely be back soon.

Country Kids from Coombe Mill Family Farm Holidays Cornwall

23 thoughts on “To Sodor and Back at Thomas Land

1. Ickle Pickle says:

We went for the first time a few weeks ago and loved it! The weather however was horrendous, I couldn’t get hardly any good photos 🙁 Yours are wonderful 🙂 Kaz x
    Ickle Pickle recently posted…Fair Tuition with TutorFairMy Profile

2. mama syder says:

What a super day out! Fabulous photo’s, looks like you had so much fun x
    mama syder recently posted…Camp Bestival 2015 ReviewMy Profile

3. This looks great – ideal for during the summer. Both my kids would love this!
    Helen @ Witty Hoots recently posted…Creative Maths Magic to Amaze Your FriendsMy Profile

4. Laura says:

Sounds amazing. We haven’t visited despite it being fairly close to my parents’ house.
    Laura recently posted…The new Bratz dolls collectionMy Profile

5. Sonya Cisco says:

How long did it take you to get there? I always thought it seemed a long way from us! All three of mine have loved thomas – we used to love the Thomas days at swanage, but doesnt seem like they do them anymore.
    Sonya Cisco recently posted…The Hardy MonumentMy Profile

6. oana79 says:

Happy smiles all around, Kara, such a wonderful place to visit with small children! I love your photos!xx
    oana79 recently posted…A second day in IstanbulMy Profile

7. Helen Gandy says:

My son is Thomas mad and we are debating when to take him to Thomas land as he would love it there! Great review, and such good piccies 🙂
    Helen Gandy recently posted…Cohorted Beauty Box July – ReviewMy Profile

I am hoping my nephew gets to visit this summer as he would absolutely love it here x
    Rachel recently posted…Jurlique Rose Silk Finishing PowderMy Profile

9. Awww I can see pure happiness on Sebastian’s face. Thats true love indeed.

We still haven’t been there. I am sure my son (Sebastian too) will love the place! #countrykids
    Merlinda Little (@pixiedusk) recently posted…Blue GlassMy Profile

10. Aw I think their smiles say it all, it looks like you had a fantastic day and I love the fact that there were so many rides even the smaller riders could go on. The train ride with Thomas or Percy looks like a perfect way to end the day!
    Jess Howliston recently posted…Traveling with kids – Our top tips.My Profile

11. Michelle says:

I remember going to Drayton Manor when I was a kid!

Looks like it was a fab day out, my boy loved Thomas when he was younger x
    Michelle recently posted…Bed & Breakfast In WiltshireMy Profile

12. Emma says:

What a lovely day out.
    Emma recently posted…Schools out!My Profile

13. Clearlybex says:

We’ve spent today at Drayton Manor and had an amazing day, to be fair we haven’t left the premises yet as we are in the grill bar by the exit. We absolutely love DMP and once again had an amazing time. Looks like you all enjoyed a fab day too. X

It looks like you all had a fab day out for Seb’s birthday, the smiles all round prove that everyone enjoyed themselves. It’s great that there was a good range of rides that all the kids could go on and you didn’t have to worry about Seb being left out of anything. It’s so lovely to see you lot on the park together in the video, Kian’s great with all his younger siblings. Thanks for linking up your Thomas fun with me on Country Kids.
    Coombe Mill recently posted…Country Kids from Coombe MillMy Profile

15. This looks like a brilliant place for younger children. It’s good to hear that it’s improved since last time you visited too.
    Mums do travel recently posted…Next trip: Emilia-Romagna, ItalyMy Profile

16. Charly Dove says:

Oh what a brilliant time you all had Kara, lovely post. Wonderful photos too – can’t believe how grown-up Seb is looking! We’re yet to go to Thomasland but I’m sure we will at some point, POD loves Thomas the Tank Engine.
    Charly Dove recently posted…Tennis at San Lucianu Beach ResortMy Profile

17. Jen Walshaw says:

When my boys were younger they loved Thomas Land and now they love Drayton Manor. It is a great place, compact and fun.
    Jen Walshaw recently posted…Get the Best Value School UniformMy Profile

18. Erika says:

It looks like you all had a fabulous day, so many happy smiling faces! I love the meerkat as well!

19. Hey Kara
    My kids used to love Thomasland when they were small – it’s a fun day out! If you don’t mind, I’d like to feature this post in my monthly BritMums Video Round-up as it contains video… Is this ok? Would you tweet me @Businessmum if this is ok and I’ll make sure you get in!! x
    JuggleMum, Nadine Hill recently posted…Welcome to the JuggleMum Blog OfficeMy Profile

20. Erica Price says:

We always have a lovely day out there. H still loves Thomasland because he’s not into rollercoasters.
    Erica Price recently posted…Adding Window TouchesMy Profile

21. It looks like you had a great day.
    We would love to take Harry
    Clare @ Emmy’s Mummy recently posted…In loving memory of an amazing ladyMy Profile