Lyme Regis Fossil Festival 2015

Fossil Festival

Last year we attended Lyme Regis Fossil Festival and had such a good time we bookmarked it for this year.  I had my weekend all planned with the Lyme Regis on Saturday, Knob Throwing on Sunday and Blandford Food Festival for Sunday and so was a little concerned with the weather forecast in the week running up to the events with predicted a very stormy weekend.

We woke Saturday morning to dull and overcast skies and I checked my weather app for home and Lyme Regis which said that any rain would pass over by 11am.  Nevertheless I packed our wet weather gear in the car and set off on the hour’s journey west.

As we got close to Bridport the weather changed dramatically, I could feel the wind buffeting the car and all the hills were covered with cloud and mist and then came the rain.  We were more than halfway there by this point and a bit of wind and rain doesn’t scare us so we carried on as most of the fossil festival is undercover in a large marquee.

We parked up and made the short dash down the hill to the beach where the Marquee is situated and headed inside.  The kids were immediately drawn to the first table where a man was showing the size difference between a Megalodon tooth and a Great White Sharks’s tooth.  I was impressed that they asked all the right questions and he prompted them to answer themselves.  We then moved on to trying to tell the difference between an ammonite and a modern-day Nautilus.

Fossil Festival

The next table along had some even larger fossils and Isaac and Eliza were challenged to guess what they were.  We struggled identifying a plate from a Stegosaurus until it was demonstrated where it would have been on a dinosaur and correctly identified a claw.  We failed at guessing a rock was actually fossilised dinosaur poo though.

Fossil Festival

There was loads to see and do with scientists from all over the country, including from the Natural History Museum, but it was the British Antarctic Survey which seemed to enthrall Isaac and Eliza the most with a model of what was under the ice in Antarctica.  They were fascinated by the model and after a brief discussion about what each colour meant on the model, they were expertly identifying volcano’s and mountains that were hidden under the ice.

The marquee was filled with interesting things to explore, as well as microscopes to look through and plenty of activities for the kids.  We made dinosaur footprints with the help of some welly boots and giant sponges, made dinosaurs out of plasticine which then went on display in a pre-historic beach scene and even did some sparkly pen toppers and fridge magnets.

Fossil Festival

We did venture outside and found Adrian Gray balancing some stones that he had found along the Jurassic coast.  He was challenged to show us how it was done and despite the high winds, managed to balance one within a minute!  We then found some shelter for a spot of lunch and found Horace the Pliosaur and Bertie the walking dinosaur, although sadly due to the weather conditions he didn’t do any walking as would have been blown over.

Fossil Festival

Isaac, Eliza and Sebastian were invited to brush Horace’s huge teeth to make sure he was clean, which they thoroughly enjoyed but it was soon apparent that the weather was beating us and we were all shivering, apart from Isaac who is never cold!

Sadly we didn’t get to walk along the Cobb this year, we couldn’t even see the cliffs on the east side as the weather was so bad, so we consoled ourselves with a nice warming hot chocolate and cake in a local cafe before heading home.

BritMums
Tots100 MAD Blog Awards

Country Kids from Coombe Mill Family Farm Holidays Cornwall

23 thoughts on “Lyme Regis Fossil Festival 2015

1. I wish I lived by the sea it looks like so much fun.
    Nayna Kanabar recently posted…Strawberry LemonadeMy Profile

2. I wish I loved by the sea, it looks like so much fun.
    Nayna Kanabar recently posted…Strawberry LemonadeMy Profile

3. oana79 says:

Oh, wow, Kara, the pictures look amazing, I am sure the kids had a wonderful, full of wonders time!xx
    oana79 recently posted…Forget Me NotMy Profile

4. This looks great even if you didn’t get the best weather. Glad you enjoyed your day out 🙂
    Ryan Costello recently posted…Wordless WednesdayMy Profile

5. Laura says:

Looks like you had a great time despite the weather. It all sounds very educational and how amazing to see actual dinosaur fossils.
    Laura recently posted…Easy bake New York cheesecake with granola crustMy Profile

6. Jen Walshaw says:

You have so much to do near you and yes rain never really hurt anyone. I bet loads of people missed it being afraid of the rain!
    Jen Walshaw recently posted…15 Stunning suncatchers for kids to makeMy Profile

7. Globalmouse says:

My children would absolutely love to visit this – my oldest in particular is fossil mad. Shame about the weather but it seems like you managed to have a great time anyway!!
    Globalmouse recently posted…A (slightly chilly) spring trip to the NetherlandsMy Profile

8. Jaime Oliver says:

I am loving reading about your adventures! .. i so need to get more out and about activities planned in! x
    Jaime Oliver recently posted…Undivided Attention And A ConfessionMy Profile

9. Ninjacat says:

Think I want to come and live with you x
    Ninjacat recently posted…My View On ThingsMy Profile

10. Ness says:

The kids loved going to all the fossil and dinosaur places in the Isle of Wight a couple of years ago. It’s a shame all these great places are so far away from us.
    Ness recently posted…Sunday Snap – Lady GodivaMy Profile

This sounds like a brilliant day out and a fun educational one at that x
    Rachel recently posted…Drift Away – Temple SpaMy Profile

12. Debbie says:

Sounds like a fantastic day for exploring the little one’s imaginations! Loving that they got to join in and make things as well as exploring with their eyes. I think I’d be more concerned if you did know what fossilised dinosaur poo looked like 😉
    Debbie recently posted…Iphigenia in SplottMy Profile

13. Christine says:

I’ve wanted to go to the Fossil Festival for the last couple of years but the weekend always coincides with other things in our household. Glad you had a good time despite the weather! #countrykids

14. Wow! I can understand why you went back! SO many things to see and do! Lovely art installation and activities for kids. I wish we are near and we definitely would go here too! #countrykids
    Merlinda Little ( @pixiedusk) recently posted…My Sunday Photo – 10 May 2015My Profile

15. Emmys Mummy says:

This looks like great fun, I love how the weather didn’t put you off.
    Emmys Mummy recently posted…Project 365 2015 – Photo Round Up Week 19My Profile

16. My daughter would absolutely love this, I do wish we lived a little closer as I’ve never been to Lyme Regis but always fancied visiting some day. Looks like so much fun.
    Iona@Redpeffer recently posted…Kenilworth Castle-a special visitMy Profile

17. That looks like such a great event, wish we lived a bit closer! #CountryKids
    Mary @ Over 40 and a Mum to One recently posted…Colourscape at Waddesdon Manor #CountryKidsMy Profile

18. Is Horace the big smiley creature bottom right? He looks like fun! By the way, I’m still not entirely sure what a Dorset Knob is!? (Helpfully changed by predictive text to “an adorned knob” first time I tried to type it!)
    Clare Mansell recently posted…Please nominate me for Photography in the Mad Awards…My Profile

19. Sarah Bailey says:

This sounds amazing I have always been fascinated by fossils so anything like this has my attention.
    Sarah Bailey recently posted…Ox Pasture Hall: Luxury for all in ScarboroughMy Profile

20. Coombemill says:

thank goodness for the tent to keep things dry, glad the weather didn’t put you off it looks every bit as much fun as last year and educational too. Teeth brushing made fun, I love it! Issac is like guy, he is never cold either. Thank you for sharing your fossil day on Country Kids.
    Coombemill recently posted…Country Kids from Coombe MillMy Profile