Dorset Knob Throwing Festival 2015

Last year we went to the Dorset Knob Throwing Festival for the very first time and had such a good time that we made a note of this years event on the calendar determined to go.

The weather this weekend was forecast to be poor, and Lyme Regis Fossil Festival was a bit of a wash out, but we always say that Dorset has its own micro-climate and often the weather forecast is not what we get and although we were not blessed with glorious sunshine like we were last year, it was mild and dry.

Moores, creators of the famous Dorset Knob, along with Dorset Food & Drink, Dorset Tea and the Dorset Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty (AONB) partnership all assist in making this unique Dorset event a resounding hit.  Besides Knob Throwing there are additional fun knob attractions such as Knob Painting, Splat the Knob, Knob & Spoon Race, Knob Darts, Guess the weight of the Big Knob, Knob Darts, Knob Eating and a Knob Pyramid plus other more traditional entertainment such as music, dance and vehicles to explore.

Dorset Knob Throwing

The event is also combined with the Frome Food Festival meaning that there are also around 50 food and drink stalls selling everything from cider to wine, cakes to meat, preserves, cheese and more.

Dorset Knob Throwing

Much as the kids loved exploring and we liked sampling all the delicious food and drink that was on offer, there was one reason we were there and we couldn’t wait to get started………..the knob events.

Dorset Knob Throwing

The kids were all armed with their score sheets and eager to see who could get the most points and we started with archery.  Isaac and Eliza had some assistance but Kian was deemed big enough to do it himself.

Isaac – 8 points

Eliza – 7 points

Kian – 0 points

Thankfully Kian did better at Knobs Darts and even Sebby could join in with this one.

Sebby – 40 points

Isaac –  40 points

Eliza – 25 points

Kian – 40 points

Knob putting was hilarious and there were a group of at least 8 grown men before us that scored nothing, so we were not confident when we started.

Sebby (& Mummy) – 90 points

Isaac – 70 points

Eliza – 60 points (cheating)

Kian – 100 points

Of course it wasn’t competitive at all *cough* but they were all having a fabulous time.

Dorset Knob Throwing

It was lovely to see whole families enjoying the spirit of the event and there were picnic blankets everywhere with multiple generations sitting down to watch whilst sampling the food on offer.  We attempted the famous knob throw but I am not sure our efforts got anywhere near the record, with Kian doing the best at 14m – the record is 29.4m which was set back in 2012!

We did make up some of our own games too and spent quite some time playing piggy in the middle before heading off to explore more stalls.

Dorset Knob Throwing

It was fabulous to meet some of the lovely people I talk to on twitter during #DorsetHour on a Monday night and I got to sample the most delicious cake from Lizzie at thebakingbird whilst Kian went for a sausage and cheese roll.  I also got to see the National Trust recruiter van that travels Dorset which has a picture of my family and I on the side for a photo shoot on Studland beach when Sebby was jusy 6 weeks old!

I am afraid that the Dorset Knob Throwing Festival is over for another year, but make sure you visit next bank holiday – we had four hours of fun and all with added innuendo.  Kian may have won the family challenge, but we all had fun trying to beat him and we made the Dorset Echo!

Country Kids from Coombe Mill Family Farm Holidays Cornwall

16 thoughts on “Dorset Knob Throwing Festival 2015

1. Ickle Pickle says:

You’ll laugh now, I thought it said DOOR knob throwing!! Looks like a great festival, and your photos are fab! Kaz x
    Ickle Pickle recently posted…#MyFavouritePostMy Profile

2. Sonya Cisco says:

After living in Dorset my entire life, I finally tried these the other day – nice! Bit like a dutch crispbread I though!
    Sonya Cisco recently posted…Look who’s voting now…and she made me think we can still change the world!My Profile

3. Jaime Oliver says:

oh wow this looks like such a lovely festival! .. i wish we had some fab local festivals new us
    Jaime Oliver recently posted…WOW Toys – Dudley Dump Truck ReviewMy Profile

4. What a lovely event very different and lots of fun too,
    Nayna Kanabar recently posted…Pistachio and Rose Biscuits~ sugar freeMy Profile

5. Debbie says:

Yes, I bet the innuendos would be great fun- combined with a food festival would definitely get the date in my diary!
    Debbie recently posted…The last day of normalMy Profile

6. Michelle says:

Well I have to say I’ve never heard of knob throwing! It looks like a great day out! xx

7. Stephanie says:

I want to go knob throwing! Looks like a great day out, our surname is Moore as well so we would fit right in there!!
    Stephanie recently posted…Micheldever Woods – BluebellsMy Profile

8. OOOH Dorset knob is food ! I would love to come this !
    claire toplis recently posted…Gardening On A BudgetMy Profile

9. Michelle says:

We always buy Dorset Knobs when down in that part of the world! Didn’t know that they had a festival for throwing them though!
    Michelle recently posted…Step Back In Time Linky #2My Profile

10. Coombemill says:

What a wonderful looking event and so original, I do love a bit of a theme to a country fair and this sounds silly enough to really appeal. Great country activities and family score sheets would get highly competitive here! A lovely looking day, thank you for sharing on Country Kids.
    Coombemill recently posted…Sprouting a good taleMy Profile

11. This looks like a traditional country festival brought up to date 🙂 All that delicious food too in one place. Wish I lived closer 🙂
    The Diary Of a Jewellery Lover recently posted…30 Quick Ways To Save Money On HolidayMy Profile

12. Sarah Bailey says:

I totally admit I have never heard of the knob throwing festival before, but it sounds great fun! x
    Sarah Bailey recently posted…#MySundayPhotoMy Profile

13. Jen Walshaw says:

I want to go to a knob throwing competition. You all look like you have an amazing time.
    Jen Walshaw recently posted…Pampers celebrates #everybabyMy Profile

14. What a bizarre festival! I love these types of quirky English festivals.
    Ness @ JibberJabberUK recently posted…Sunday Snap – The University CastleMy Profile

15. I absolutely love that there’s a knob throwing festival x x
    Cass@frugalfamily recently posted…Fabulously Frugal Linky {3rd May 2015}….My Profile