Our Summer Diary

Camp Bestival

It is a miracle – I have not heard the words “I’m Bored!” once this summer holiday and here is why!

We have had a summer holiday jam-packed full of fun, family and festivals and I am slightly disappointed it is all coming to an end this week, although I am looking forward to putting my feet up and catching up with some blogging that has gone by the wayside.

So what did we do?

Week 1:

We started new swimming lessons on a Monday afternoon and have seen Isaac and Eliza improve so much faster and I am happy that they are water confident when we go to the beach.  We visited the local splash park where the kids charged around with their water pistols; the beach where we played in the sea and practiced our sandcastle building and then the New Forest where we made friends with the local wildlife.

We also had an impromptu trip to Butlins where we morphed into Daphne and Scrappy Doo and then watched open mouthed as the Moscow State Circus arrived in town with their amazing acrobatics.  Hubby and I even managed to sneak out and have an evening to ourselves with bubbles and fireworks!

Summer 2014

Week 2:

We took an eventful trip aboard an open top bus to Swanage carnival which is one of the best events locally.  They take such pride in their floats and the procession was over a mile long. Eliza met Alice and even rode in a flying elephant with her at Adventure Wonderland, but this week belonged to our first ever camping trip as a family to Camp Bestival.

Camping at a festival was a huge learning curve, but we loved every minute and cannot wait to do it all over again.  We dressed up, danced, sang acapella with a choir and witnessed the most amazing firework display we have ever seen, all over four days.

Summer 2014

Week 3:

We took a day to recover from Camp Bestival before we hit the beach again.  We discovered a musical play trail on Boscombe Pier and then took on the challenge of the rocks at the Coastal Park and after some practice conquered them.

Our local country park was holding a Pirate festival, so we donned our costumes and perfected our “Aaarrrrgh’s”.  The final day of the week saw us head across to Paulton’s Park where I actually got to go on some rides for a change – I did let the kids have some fun too though.

Summer 2014

Week 4:

This week saw us hobnobbing with some stars of stage and screen at LolliBop.  Hubby has vowed never to wash his hands again after shaking Simon Pegg’s hand and giving Justin Fletcher a high-five.  The kids were far more impressed with Alex Winters and Chris & Pui though.

The lovely weather had a bit of a wobble this week, so we found ourself hanging out in our local soft play centre and had a bake off in the kitchen.  I am never going to be a baker, but the kids had great fun attempting to make Mario inspired cakes.

Summer 2014

Week 5:

We had a birthday this week – Kian turned 14.  To celebrate hubby took him to the cinema to watch Marvel, Guardians of the Galaxy and then to the Sky Sports Studio’s at the O2 whilst the littlies and I headed to London Zoo for a Xeno launch event.

Later in the week we visited the Liberty Owl, Raptor and Reptile Centre and gasped as we saw an eagle, buzzard and vultures all swoop down and perform for us.

Summer 2014

Week 6:

The final full week of the school holidays sees the festival that we always book time off for every year – Bournemouth Air Fest!

We started off the week with Kian’s birthday treat of a visit to Rockreef with a friend from school, where they took on the climbing walls,  completed the high-line challenge and even dared to take on the vertical slide, which is not for the faint hearted and then a trip to the Daytona Track at Sandown for a spot of Go Karting.

We found a brilliant new local Pirate park, which I didn’t know existed and then it was all about the planes.  What I love about the air fest is that the kids can enjoy the beach whilst the planes and helicopters fly overhead.  We were treated to a beach landing by the Commando’s, the incompatible Red Arrows but my favourite part of the four days was seeing the Vulcan roar in and stun the crowd into silence, followed by a rapturous applause.

Summer 2014

That’s our summer done, can I sit down now?

This is my entry to the Center Parcs and Tots 100 August challenge. If I’m chosen, I would like to visit Longleat Forest.
Country Kids from Coombe Mill Family Farm Holidays Cornwall

21 thoughts on “Our Summer Diary

1. You have had an amazing summer! Great pictures! I heard “I’m bored” but I forgive my son because he called me to tell he was bored with his father and wanted to come home to me 😉
    Joanna Sormunen recently posted…Chaucha Kings – Ecuadorian MusicMy Profile

2. ninjacat says:

what a fun packed summer x you are amazing
    ninjacat recently posted…Tuna Mixed Bean Potato Salad #recipeMy Profile

3. Globalmouse says:

Wow, what a jam packed amazing summer! I’m with you, I don’t want it to end! I wish the holidays were twice as long, I felt really sad waving them off to school this morning. Roll on half term!
    Globalmouse recently posted…Top 10 Things to do in Jersey, Channel Islands with KidsMy Profile

4. You kept them busy for 6 weeks! That is brilliant. Like the look of the pirate park. Wish there was one near us.
    VaiChin@ Rambling Through Parenthood recently posted…Twinkl Primary Resources – A ReviewMy Profile

5. Wow, you’ve been so busy – sounds wonderful and it’s great that your children enjoyed it. Definitely time for you to put your feet up now!
    Healthier Mummy recently posted…How to sneak vegetables into packed lunches: sweetcorn frittersMy Profile

6. Kizzy says:

Wow looks like a jam pack fun filled holidays. We had a much more reserved chilled out time here.
    Kizzy recently posted…It’s elemental my dearMy Profile

7. What a fantastic summer of fun – it’s no wonder the children didn’t utter those dreaded words ‘ I’m bored ‘. Thanks for linking up and sharing with Country Kids.
    Coombe Mill – Fiona recently posted…Silent Sunday / Project 52My Profile

8. Emma says:

what a lovely collection of images. We loved lollibop again this year and I would love to do a festival now the children are older.
    Emma recently posted…Chloe was let loose behind the wheelsMy Profile

9. Amy says:

Wow it looks like you have been a busy bunch! Looks like you all had an amazing holiday though and have made some lovely memories!
    Amy recently posted…Hello September!My Profile

10. You’ve been busy! There again we’ve up and down the country too. I hope you get chosen for the challenge.
    Ness (@jibberjabberuk) recently posted…Love Cake September 2014My Profile

11. busy, busy, busy… looks like you should get some rest now 🙂
    I would say it is a sit down time or sure!

12. Polly says:

looks like a busy and very fun summer! Some lovely memories made x
    Polly recently posted…Maternity Series – Week 24My Profile

13. That all looks amazing! Especially jealous of Camp Bestival – it looks fab!
    Kate Williams recently posted…Aliens Love Underpants Activities and CraftsMy Profile

14. Louisa says:

Goodness me! You will need a holiday just to recover from so many wonderful activities 🙂
    Louisa recently posted…A visit to Powderham CastleMy Profile

15. Sarah Bailey says:

Oh wow what an amazing time it looks like you had this summer – no wonder you haven’t heard I’m bored! x
    Sarah Bailey recently posted…The Click and Chat Link Up #20My Profile

16. stacey kirkbride says:

wow looks like many wonderful memories were made x
    stacey kirkbride recently posted…Review & Giveaway – Beanies Instant Flavour CoffeeMy Profile

Reading these posts, I am surprised at how much everyone seems to have done over the holidays, brilliant x
    Rachel recently posted…Exfolia Beauty ClothMy Profile

18. Wow you have done sooo much! Looks like a wonderful summer x
    you baby me mummy recently posted…Our Wedding AnniversaryMy Profile

19. Sonya Cisco says:

You out me to shame – you have done so much, we have done a quarter of that and I thought we were doing well! Sounds like a brilliant summer!
    Sonya Cisco recently posted…Accidental ProfanityMy Profile

20. PinkOddy says:

What an amazing Summer you have had – I even got to see you a couple of times too 🙂
    Best of luck with your entry.
    PinkOddy recently posted…Zero Waste help 2014My Profile

21. Good luck with the challenge! A pirate festival…now that’s something my two would LOVE! Sounds as though you’ve had a magnificent summer.
    Nell@PigeonPairandMe.com recently posted…Micro Scooter accessories: reviewMy Profile