Memories of Wembley

Yaya Toure and Kian

Today sees another Community Shield match get underway and when it comes on the TV and I see those children walking out with their heroes always gives me goosebumps!

All the way back in 2011, Kian got the chance to walk on the pitch at Wembley as a player escort to Yaya Toure and the Manchester City squad.

This all happened before I started blogging and I cannot believe I have not written about it until now!

We got this amazing opportunity all thanks to English Mum who was running a competition on her blog to be a player escort for either Manchester Utd or Manchester City.  It wasn’t our beloved Chelsea but I decided to enter nonetheless and looked through some of the other entries.  Almost everyone had chosen Man Utd so I saw my chance and wrote a limerick.

There was a young boy from Bournemouth

Who turns 11 in the middle of August

When asked what he’d like

Not a book or a bike

But a chance to walk on the pitch at Wembley

So he can show off in his school assembly

Ok, so it wasn’t the best poem / limerick in the world, but it was fun and obviously caught the eye of the judges and the rest was history.

Kian player escort

We went up to London the day before the match and was put up in the Hilton Hotel.  Kian got an official uniform to wear for the practice sessions the next day, plus a full Manchester City Kit for his official duties.

The morning of the match we got to meet the lovely Sir Geoff Hurst who spent ages chatting to the kids who would be going out on the pitch.  There were lots of adults trying to jump in and my best memory of the morning was him coming to sit with us and having a cuddle with Eliza who was just 7 months old.

Player Escort Wembley

He regaled tales of winning the world cup and told of how he went home and mowed his lawn the very next day…….certainly not the image of a footballer today!

It was then time to wish Kian goodbye as he disappeared off for his training, complete with official FA badges.  We then explored Wembley and did a spot of celebrity spotting as they snuck into some of the hidden entrances before taking to our seats.

Hubby was sat by the dug out where he waited for Kian to be brought back to his seat, whilst I was opposite with the other family members in with the Man City fans.

I thought my heart was going to burst with pride when I saw him come out.

Player Escort Wembley

We didn’t know who Kian would be paired with so it was a waiting game until he appeared with Yaya Toure!

Once he had finished he went to sit with his Dad and we all got to watch the match.  Sadly there was no opportunities to get autographs, however he did get to meet James Corden, Freddie Flintoff and John Bishop who were nervously waiting to do their penalty shootout for A League of their own.

The Manchester City fans were in full voice and I got to experience the Poznan first hand which is impressive and slightly intimidating at the same time.  Man City scored first and the whole stand erupted which scared Eliza and Isaac so I left the stand and went to the nearest first aid room to settle them down.

Player Escort Wembley

Another roar went up and Man City had scored their second just before half time!

By now it was evident that the fans were on full form and sinking lots of lager, so I made the decision to go back to the hotel and watch the match with the kids in the safety of the lounge, whilst hubby and Kian stayed and watched the second half.

I may have left early and missed Man Utd’s 3 goals but it was still a day packed full of memories and most definitely a magic moment that will stay with me forever!

I just hope Isaac, Eliza and Sebastian get similar opportunities in the future.  Isaac’s name is already down for Chelsea!

photo 93142f35-6d39-479f-b3de-d94dbca68162_zps58499252.jpg

26 thoughts on “Memories of Wembley

1. Jaime Oliver says:

oh wow what a an amazing thing to do! certainly one to treasure!

thanks for linking up with #MagicMoments
    Jaime Oliver recently posted…Silent Sunday 17/8/14My Profile

2. What a lovely experiece for him – and i think your poem was fab!
    Rachel @ Parenthood Highs and Lows recently posted…Alex’s Birth StoryMy Profile

3. Sarah Bailey says:

Oh wow what an amazing experience and wonderful memories 🙂 x
    Sarah Bailey recently posted…Tie the Knot in StyleMy Profile

4. Louisa says:

What an amazing opportunity for him! My son is a huge football fan and would love to do this.
    Louisa recently posted…A visit to Exeter CathedralMy Profile

5. Such a lovely and unforgettable experience! I love the morph costumes the people in the video were wearing haha x
    Emma TheMiniMesAndMe recently posted…Dinky Jam DoughnutsMy Profile

6. Jamie says:

What an amazing experience for him. My little one would absolutely love this! Meeting James Corden as well, must of been such a fab day 🙂
    Jamie recently posted…nursing bras : are they the least sexy thing about being pregnant?My Profile

7. Michelle says:

What a great opportunity and memory for him!
    Michelle recently posted…Jamie Oliver Personalised Antipasti Serving Board [Review]My Profile

8. Kizzy says:

What an amazing opportunity, a very lucky lad
    Kizzy recently posted…Glossy Box : Is it worth it?My Profile

9. Kizzy says:

What an amazing opportunity, a very lucky lad
    Kizzy recently posted…Glossy Box : Is it worth it?My Profile

10. Pinkoddy says:

What a fantastic prize and treasured memory. Does that mean it is his birthday around now too? x
    Pinkoddy recently posted…Nintendo Wii Sports Club ReviewMy Profile

11. model mummy says:

Wow what a great opportunity and a memory he will hold forever!
    model mummy recently posted…Mary Poppins Themed PartyMy Profile

12. Jollyjillys says:

Looks like you had a fantastic time. Great picture as well

13. That’s an amazing experience and one none of you will forget. I can I shine just how loud the crowd must have seemed to the littler ones though.
    Iona@redpeffer recently posted…Boscastle and magic momentsMy Profile

14. What a fantastic experience and such wonderful memories for your son! My CIty-crazy friends would turn green if I told them about this 😀
    VaiChin@ Rambling Through Parenthood recently posted…Ideas for Free Family Summer FunMy Profile

15. Wow, what a great experience. This is something Kian will remember forever. I have to look at for these type of competitions I know my sons would love this both big football fans.

16. Lori says:

Wow what a great win! I’m not surprised as the poem is great. Even though you didn’t get autographs you’ve got great photos to remember it by. X
    Lori recently posted…32/52My Profile

17. Stephen says:

What an amazing experience that must have been, it is what I dreamed of as a boy, though for Liverpool not City 😉
    Stephen recently posted…Holiday T-Shirt WishlistMy Profile

18. Wow, what an amazing experience. My boys would kill for something like that!
    Jen aka The Mad House recently posted…Ombre Shoe Lace – How toMy Profile

19. How fabulous and what incredible pictures! Well done you on your winning poem x
    You Baby Me Mummy recently posted…Baby’s new lovesMy Profile

20. What a great opportunity! I looks like they all had so much fun 🙂
    Sylvia @ Happiness is homemade recently posted…Zapiekanka (polish street food)My Profile

21. Honest Mum says:

What an amazing opportunity and the pictures have caught the atmosphere and excitement! #whatsthestory

22. I’m not a football fan in the slightest but that still seems like just the loveliest thing for a lad to be able to do! That’s just so lovely, so glad he had that opportunity
    Laura Petit-moi recently posted…The Body Shop Wild Argan Oil range* – Coming very soon! (12th August)My Profile

23. Kim Carberry says:

Wow! What a great opportunity for him!!
    Kim Carberry recently posted…Our Weekly Meal Plan!! – #mealplanningmondayMy Profile

What an amazing opportunity for Kian. He looks so proud of himself in those pictures, I’m sure this will be a memory he carries for the rest of his life. Popping in from Magic Moments.

25. What a fabulous opportunity for the little chap!
    Zena’s Suitcase recently posted…Review: A Wilko PicnicMy Profile

26. What an amazing opportunity for him. I bet he was over the moon.
    mellissa williams recently posted…Di Palomo – The Fragrance Of Italy Made In The UKMy Profile