Butlin’s – The Wave Hotel and Facilities

butlinsambassadors

We had been counting down our holiday to Butlin’s for what felt like forever, so when the email dropped into my inbox about planning activities the month before our stay it all became real that our holiday was almost here.

I started to research all the things we wanted to do and see and as we were visiting in high season I decided to book B-Line passes, which allow you to get into the shows 15 minutes before everyone else.  I also bought some activity passes for the teens as they are cheaper to buy before you go, however when I decided to add to them the weekend before we went, they had sold out, so it is worth booking early if you know what you want.

We were allowed on site from midday on the day of arrival, so packed up the car and set off on the hours journey to Bognor, from Bournemouth.  We arrived bang on time, parked with no problems and the kids played in the computer room in the Wave Hotel whilst I checked in.  We were advised our rooms would be ready at 3pm so we headed out to have a look around what Butlin’s had to offer.

Wave Hotel

We headed straight for the Skyline Pavilion and the little ones were straight on the indoor fairground rides, whilst the teens sulked because they were too big to join them.  There was even a baby play area for Sebastian to enjoy.

We had a bite to eat in Burger King before heading back to the hotel to unpack the car and get settled in our room at 3pm.  I am so glad I checked in at midday as people were literally queuing out of the door, despite all of the check-in desks being manned.  It was a little chaotic so the kids headed back into the games room whilst I headed upstairs to see if our room was ready.

Sadly it wasn’t and it was abundantly clear that it wouldn’t be ready for some time.  We took it in turns to head upstairs to check if the room was ready every 15 minutes, but by 4pm it was still being cleaned so I headed to reception to see what was happening.  I have to admit that the service was amazing and the assistant went off to investigate.  We were assured the room would be ready by 4.30pm and was given a voucher to go off and get some coffee whilst we waited.  I am so grateful for that games room which contained every games console available as well as Apple Mac computers to keep the kids entertained.

The whole family was with us – Abbey 20, Callan 16, Kian 13, Isaac 5, Eliza 3 and Sebastian 9 months so we had two inter-connecting rooms.  We had a double bed and travel cot in our room, with a small room containing bunk beds and a bathroom.  The older kids had the same layout but with twin beds rather than a double.

Wave Hotel

The rooms were plenty big enough and the kids adored their bunks that had a TV / DVD player each at the end of the bed.  The rooms also contained plenty of wardrobe space, a safe, a small fridge and tea/coffee making facilities, plus a child safe balcony with a small plastic table and chairs.

Wave Hotel

The one thing that struck me about Butlin’s was how clean and tidy it was.  The lawns were manicured, the flower beds blooming and no litter in sight.  We headed to The Deck restaurant for dinner, impressed to find not only free baby food, facilities to heat it and plastic cutlery, but a huge choice of meals that would suit everyone’s taste, some even being cooked to your specifications as you waited.  The only thing that cost extra was alcoholic or fizzy drinks – squash, juice, water, tea and coffee were free.

Butlins

There are also lots of fun additions, like the augmented reality app which makes an octopus appear out of a picture, fun towel models appearing daily and the disco lights in the shower head.  We did have a couple of small issues in the hotel room – the plug got stuck in the sink and the sound wouldn’t work on one of the TV’s, however they were fixed straight away after we had reported them.

My only real grumble, despite the delay checking in, was the baby and toilet facilities.  The baby changing room in the Skyline Pavilion only had one changing table and was always busy – I never saw it without a queue.  They did have an additional changing table in the toilets but it was too high up and I really struggled to change Sebastian on it.

With Butlin’s billing itself as a family resort I would love to see a large baby changing room with several tables and feeding facilities for breastfeeding mums.  The toilets were also not toddler friendly and didn’t have toddler seats which meant I had to hold Eliza over the toilet so she wouldn’t fall in!  With combined adult / toddler seats available this is something I think should be looked in to and provided, especially in the Skyline where all the kids shows are held.

Keep an eye on my blog for the next installment – the entertainment and you can find my post on Dick vs Dom at Butlins here!

ChelseaMamma - Fun, Family, Travel and Photography - Butlins

27 thoughts on “Butlin’s – The Wave Hotel and Facilities

1. lori says:

Sounds like it was super comfy and all members of the family were catered for, although it;s a shame about the baby facilities. We’ve never tried one of these resort type holidays, I think it sounds like fun. x
    lori recently posted…A WEEKEND OF BLOGTACULAR FUNMy Profile

2. We’ve never visited this resort as yet.
    Nice to see such a detailed information, thank you!
    agatapokutycka recently posted…Weekly Photo Challenge: On The MoveMy Profile

3. Kizzy says:

I went to this resort many many years ago with the school and loved it then. It looks even more amazing now!
    Kizzy recently posted…Word of the Week #WotWMy Profile

4. I adore the rooms. It looks like Butlins have put a lot of effort into maintaining them and making sure they look amazing. I would love to visit Butlins in the future.
    Helen Dickinson recently posted…Max Rates….. May 2014 Holiday EditionMy Profile

5. jenny says:

We’ve never tried this kind of holiday and it sounds hectic and busy. Hope you had time to relax!
    jenny recently posted…Gingerbread playdough recipeMy Profile

6. Lovely to read this as the Wave is the one hotel at Bognor Regis that we haven’t stayed in, and the kids would like to try it out.
    Joanne Mallon (@joannemallon) recently posted…No Food Till Saturday – 4 day juice detox live blogMy Profile

7. Kerry says:

I’ve never stayed at Butlins before, I have heard its improved over the years so may give it shot sometime if we want a holiday in the UK. We always tend to go abroad instead x
    Kerry recently posted…Shabby Chic BedroomMy Profile

8. We stayed here last year and I was so impressed – it was nothing like I expected. We’re planning on booking to go back this year too I think x
    Cass@frugalfamily recently posted…Siblings – May….My Profile

9. Kirsty says:

It is fantastic that you could all go away together – I know it can be difficult finding hotels and places to go that suit a large family. It sounds like although there were some issues that Butlins dealt with them and hopefully they will be as attentive to your suggestions about additional baby changing facilities and toilet trainer seats. I can’t believe there is only one baby change station! Sounds like there was lots to keep everyone occupied and entertained
    Kirsty recently posted…The Tiger Who Came to Tea ActivityMy Profile

10. Foz says:

All these posts and pictures about Butlins are making me tempted to book!
    Foz recently posted…The Halal meat debateMy Profile

11. I’ve never been to Butlins before but now little man is getting older he really wants to take a trip there! We’ve always gone to Haven for family holidays but after reading this post and seeing the fabulous pictures (especially the octopus) I think it’s time we tried out Butlins! x
    Jada Lewendon recently posted…I’m Sorry, You Called Me What?My Profile

12. Shell Louise says:

Those bunk beds are brilliant! We stayed in a chalet when we went to Butlins. Maybe next time we’ll try the hotel 🙂
    Shell Louise recently posted…Finally!! – Before and After photos -New Kitchen 😀My Profile

13. Wow Butlins has changed dramatically since we went there years ago.
    Nayna Kanabar (@SIMPLYF00D) recently posted…Hot and spicy sprouted mung bean soup.My Profile

14. Globalmouse says:

I can’t believe I haven’t made it to Butlins yet – it looks great and so nice that bigger families can all get together in this way. We sometimes struggle finding places for 3 kids so you must find that too? This looks like a great solution though.
    Globalmouse recently posted…Chessington World of Adventures – review (7 year olds and under)My Profile

15. Karen Marquick says:

Really interesting as my grumbles were almost identical when we went to the Wave Hotel. Disappointing to hear they are still having issues getting rooms ready on time. I said the same about baby changing too.

16. I haven’t been to Butlins for a very long time. It looks as though it has changed a lot since I went
    Angela Spicer recently posted…Must Have Apps For BloggingMy Profile

17. We went as children. It looks great and we would definitely look into going as there always seems loads to do x
    you baby me mummy recently posted…Word of the week #17My Profile

18. We were ambassadors last year and had a super time
    Jen aka The Mad House recently posted…#My Happy PlaceMy Profile

19. Louisa says:

I’ve never been to Butlins but it sounds like it really is somewhere to bear in mind. I love the attention to detail like the tvs in the bunk beds. My lot would love it!
    Louisa recently posted…Wheel educationMy Profile

20. It looks really really good – a far cry from the Butlins of yesteryear and definitely worth serious consideration!
    Kate Thompson recently posted…“Combat” or “Survival” Mode?My Profile

21. Mummy of Two says:

We were also really impressed with the cleanliness of the whole place. I can’t say we even found the baby change facilities in the Skyline Pavillion but you are right, there should be more, it is a family resort after all.

The Wave Hotel looks amazing! I love those bunk beds – if we go again I think I would definitely look into it.
    Mummy of Two recently posted…Tasty treats from Morrisons #MorrisonsMumMy Profile

22. Good suggestion there about the toilets and baby changing. As my kids are all past that stage it wouldn’t have been something I’d have thought of but you are right – it is a family resort.
    The Wave is ace isn’t it? The games room really kept our kids happy and we enjoyed our stay there a few years ago.
    I just wish I was as close to Bognor as you are – it takes us 5 hours to get there when we visit!!
    JuggleMum Nadine Hill recently posted…Butlins, Instagrammed!My Profile

23. Chris says:

Spot on! We were there during February half term, and had a wonderful experience! My boys, 9 and 11 years old loved the Wave Hotel and the games room! Looking forward to your next instalment.

24. Michelle says:

It’s been so many years since we last went to Butlins, much has changed! I do love the kid’s bunk beds – they look so space age in your pic – and a TV/DVD at the end – awesome! I want to sleep in the bunk beds now lol.

As a family resort you’d think they’d improve the changing and feeding facilities, lets hope they take note of what their ambassadors have to say x
    Michelle recently posted…Star Tours at Disney Hollywood Studios | #100DaysOfDisney – Day 4 | Theme Park ThursdayMy Profile

25. Jo Bryan says:

Sounds a great time, my only gripes with Butlin’s when I have stayed were like you check in and toilets. I love the picture of your son pouting as he is too tall, my husband and teens both do that!! I believe they should add a grown ups play area too, but possibly not advisable as it would be chaos!!
    Jo Bryan recently posted…Freebie Friday 09/05- 15/05My Profile

26. Katherine Hannigan says:

It really is pristine isn’t it !! I think people still have a certain perception of Butlins, which is a shame because I think it’s such a great place (Evie absolutely loves it) We stay at the Shoreline as it’s better suited for toddlers but will definitely give The Wave a go when she is older. We have booked a Chtistmas Fantasy weekend in December…can’t wait !!