Just Monkeying Around

Monkey World 19th February 2014 268

This half term we have been scouring our local magazines for things to do with the children when we spotted an offer for Monkey World near Wareham, Dorset which saw kids getting in for £1 on the donation of old pairs of socks, vitamins or dried fruit.

If you have not heard of Monkey World before, it is a Charitable centre that assists Governments around the world to stop smuggling primates from the wild.  It was set up by Jim Cronin in 1987 and currently has over 250 primates in 19 different species and features in the popular programs Monkey Business and Monkey Life.

Although we have visited several times before I was quite surprised to discover Eliza had never been and Isaac was very small when we last went, so they were both very excited.

Monkey World

The first port of call were the Chimpanzees, who despite having a large outdoor play area, were hiding indoors.  The kids enjoyed watching them for ages as they were pulling faces, playing and just chilling out.

We headed back outside to see a crowd gathering by another enclosure.  Intrigued by what was happening we headed over to see a Gibbon putting on a spectacular show of swinging through the trees.

Monkey World

The boys then demanded they see the “Orange O Tans” so we went off to find them – they were just around the corner alongside a rather vocal Mueller’s Gibbon who decided to put on quite a show to get our attention.

Monkey World

My own monkey’s then decided it was time to re-fuel so we stopped for a bite to eat, but not before Isaac found the stash of sour sweets in Daddy’s pocket.  I took a packed lunch, although there is a restaurant and a small food point where Abbey bought herself a hot sausage roll.

Monkey World

Monkey World is positioned very close to Bovington Army Camp and the Tank Museum, so we were very lucky to be treated to a fly past by an army helicopter and witness some large tanks rumbling past as we ate.  Then it was time for the Lemurs!

Monkey World

Previous visits have seen a Lemur on top of Kian’s buggy – which he promptly pushed off and one which took a fancy to something in Isaac’s buggy, but this time they decided to ignore us, so Abbey provided the entertainment.  King Julien has a lot to answer for!

There were lots more Primates to see on the way to the huge play area that the kids were itching to find, although it all got a bit much for Sebastian who decided a snooze was in order.

Monkey World

And then we found the park, which the teens were more excited by than the little ones!

Monkey World

The swung, climbed, crawled and span on the various apparatus.

Monkey World

Isaac was very brave and insisted on climbing to the top, but he soon realised he was out of his depth.  Thankfully his big brothers were on hand to help him across.  There were two huge curly metal slides like he goes on at Moors Valley, but he point-blank refused to go down them, so we had to mount a rescue operation with Abbey to get him down.

It didn’t phase him though and as soon as he was on terra firma he shot off to play on some slightly smaller play equipment, whilst the older troops hit the Dragon Boat.

Monkey World

We spent about an hour in the park, before heading back to see what other Primates we could find.  Heading back up the hill, we found the stunning bronze bust of Jim Cronin and Charlie, who was one of the first Chimps he rescued after he set up Monkey World.  This was commissioned after his death in March 2007.

Jim Cronin Bust

The boys were intent on finding the Orangutan’s again, and a few hours of training had them finally pronouncing it correctly – we found one sat right at the highest point of the enclosure, surveying his surroundings.

Monkey World

They boys then wanted a view to rival that of the Orangutan so we headed for the treehouse, where we bumped into hubby’s Aunt.

Monkey World

I would definitely recommend Monkey World as a great day out as there is lots to do for the kids, plus plenty of picnic areas.  I loved having all the kids with me too, and the biggest ones enjoyed it as much as the littlies – and took over the baby carrier which saved my back too!

monkey world

Driving home, we saw a lot of tanks on manoeuvres and I had the kids waving manically out the windows at them –  I am pleased to report that all the soldiers waved back which made their day!

I am entering this post onto the #countrykids linky run by CoombeMill.  Why not head over and see what other Half Term adventures have been happening this week!

Country Kids from Coombe Mill Family Farm Holidays Cornwall

33 thoughts on “Just Monkeying Around

1. liska says:

You go on some SPECTACULAR days out. What awesome photos and what a lovely place.
    Liska x
    liska recently posted…The Quest for the Right Vitamin Water – not all Vitamin Waters are created equalMy Profile

2. Bek says:

It looks like a great day out. We recently went to Twycross Zoo, it had lots of monkeys too and the kids loved it!
    Bek recently posted…End of the holidaysMy Profile

3. Jo Laybourn says:

What a fab post! I love all the photo’s! I know two monkeys who would be right at home there!
    Jo Laybourn recently posted…The Mummy TagMy Profile

4. looks like a great day out! x
    Fritha Strickland recently posted…Rocket Dog boot giveawayMy Profile

5. Michelle says:

What a fun day you had! Been great to read through and look at your photos.

We went to Monkey World in 2006 – wow, was it really that long ago??! – and had a great day out there. We visited it on the drive home from our hols in Dorset. Must try and get back there one day!
    Michelle recently posted…Condensed [Project 365:2014 – Day 54]My Profile

6. Such cute pictures. Monkey World looks like loads of fun!
    Emily @amummytoo recently posted…Banana-tastic recipes + #recipeoftheweek 22-28 FebMy Profile

7. Mummy Says says:

Looks amazing! What a fantastic place and great outing x
    Mummy Says recently posted…Silent Sunday, February 23, 2014My Profile

8. LauraCYMFT says:

Looks like you had a really fun day out. I love the lemurs if we ever go to a park with them there. I always start singing move it, move it LOL!
    LauraCYMFT recently posted…The Week That Was #7My Profile

9. Kim Carberry says:

That looks a great day out!!
    Looks like you had so much fun x
    Kim Carberry recently posted…Ellie’s Day Of Fun!!My Profile

10. Monkeys are so much fun to watch – I can’t imagine how brilliant a park full of them must be! That really does look like a great day out! #CountryKids
    Faded Seaside Mama recently posted…Silent Sunday 23/02/14My Profile

11. Charlotte says:

Absolutely beautiful photos! It looks like such a great day out, and the £1 entry with donation is such a fab idea, more animal attractions should definitely do it!
    Charlotte recently posted…Silent Sunday 24/02/2014My Profile

12. I’ve never heard of this place but it looks great and we would love to visit it
    Agata Pokutycka recently posted…Weekly Photo Challenge: ThreesMy Profile

13. Lovely pictures of the gibbon! It’s so hard to take good pictures of moving targets! This looks like a lovely place to visit, would love to go in the summer.
    Lucy Dorrington recently posted…Silent SundayMy Profile

14. I have an 8 y/o who is obsessed by monkeys so he’d love it here if ever we’re in the area x
    Cass@frugalfamily recently posted…Half Term at home….My Profile

15. mummy of two says:

We love monkey world and always pay a visit when down your way. It looks like you had a lovely day and what a bargain price too!
    mummy of two recently posted…Silent Sunday #8My Profile

16. Kizzy says:

Looks like a fantastic place to take the kids too and you all look like you enjoyed it!
    Kizzy recently posted…Saturday is Caption Day #SatCapMy Profile

17. Charly Dove says:

Oh my goodness Monkey World looks AWESOME! Sounds like you had the best time there and I love all the photos. Such a brilliant place to visit *adds to list*
    Charly Dove recently posted…Silent SundayMy Profile

18. Cute babies! It looks like they had sooo much fun 🙂
    Sylvia @ Happiness is homemade recently posted…Beef Tli tli (algerian pasta dish) / Tli tli z wołowiną (algierska makaronowa potrawka).My Profile

19. Cheryl says:

So that’s what Monkey World is all about. It does look like it makes a good day out. #CountryKids
    Cheryl recently posted…Castle visitingMy Profile

20. I have heard of Monkey World but never visited. It looks like they do good work. Great that little ones can be a monkeys too!
    mellissa williams recently posted…Sport Relief and SSEMy Profile

21. Lauren says:

I’m looking forward to taking my baby to Monkey World when she’s a bit older, I think at the moment she wouldnt really take it all in! Some lovely photos, glad you had a nice time!
    Lauren recently posted…Outfit: slouchy & flockedMy Profile

22. Monkey World looks like a wonderful place to take the family and at such a reasonable charge! It looks like there was plenty to do and see and you could easily while a way a few hours having fun. Thanks for linking up and sharing the lovely photos of your outdoor fun with Country Kids.
    Coombemill – Fiona recently posted…Country Kids from Coombe MillMy Profile

23. Keri-Anne says:

I have been there before when we went on holiday to swanage. I love it. What a lovely day it looks like you had x
    Keri-Anne recently posted…DIY: Flower pressed ice bowlMy Profile

24. 76sunflowers says:

We drive last monkey world on our way to Camp Bestival every year. One day we will pop in!
    76sunflowers recently posted…365 #8 {Half term}My Profile

25. Pinkoddy says:

What a fantastic place to visit, and so cheap too.
    Pinkoddy recently posted…Home-made Superheroes VillainsMy Profile

26. It looks like you had a really nice day. We love going to places like this. Out local is Marwell, think we need a season ticket x
    You Baby Me Mummy recently posted…Challenge Yourself #2My Profile

27. Wow, looks like you had a great day out, and what a fantastic place to take kids. That park looks great.

We are going to be visiting Dorset in a few months so I am going to add this place to our todo list, without a doubt!
    Zoe Corkhill (Mama Geek) recently posted…Lambing timeMy Profile

28. Shell Louise says:

I used to love watching the Monkey World programme and I’d love to visit. It’s quite a drive from us but we’ll go one day 🙂
    Shell Louise recently posted…Photo Challenge – 3 week catch-up!My Profile

29. Looks like your little ones really enjoyed their time visiting Monkey World. I can imagine how excited J would be to visit. We have a zoo around here, nothing exclusive to monkeys though.
    VaiChin@ Rambling Through Parenthood recently posted…At Dunham MasseyMy Profile

30. such brilliant photos, looks like you all had an amazing day out x
    chantelle hazelden (mamamummymum) recently posted…I See Blue SkiesMy Profile

31. Emma says:

Brilliant! Love your pics. We visited many years ago when our two were very tiny. It snowed that day and the monkeys all kept inside and kept warm, we didn’t see as many as you did! 🙂
    Emma recently posted…Carnival SeasonMy Profile

32. anna says:

This looks like a great place to visit! My kids would definitely enjoy it too
    anna recently posted…Tractor Ted Free Spring PrintablesMy Profile